Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown unfinished cab, super unique!  (Read 1267 times)

Kerrismama

Unknown unfinished cab, super unique!
« on: March 14, 2018, 10:05:43 PM »

I bought this unfinished cabochon from someone who sells estate lots. So I don't know much about where it came from. I fell in love with it right away because of its uniqueness, however that has made it pretty difficult for me to identify. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

rocks2dust

Re: Unknown unfinished cab, super unique!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 11:24:06 PM »

My first thought on seeing that emerald-green color was actinolite, but I'm not seeing any straight crystals. It is nagging at my memory, as I may have seen before. Perhaps a serpentine?

Kerrismama

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 12:04:53 AM »

My first thought on seeing that emerald-green color was actinolite, but I'm not seeing any straight crystals. It is nagging at my memory, as I may have seen before. Perhaps a serpentine?
Does serpentine have chatoyancy? It's very flashy.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 05:43:38 AM »

Could be grossular garnet.  How hard is it?

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:35:56 AM »

Welcome!

Can't help with an ID, but it sure is pretty! 
Robin

Kerrismama

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 08:49:16 AM »

Could be grossular garnet.  How hard is it?
It's pretty soft. It has an almost flaky texture on the unfinished side, almost like shale

rocks2dust

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 10:24:09 AM »

There is a form of serpentine with chatoyancy from Arizona and California that is sold as "Arizona tiger eye," "California tiger eye," "Arizona pietersite," etc. It mostly varies between pale salmon, yellow to yellow-green, but occasionally can be more of an emerald green with patterns such as your piece. As you say it is flakey and chatoyant, I suspect that or another serpentine is what may you have.

Added: Whoa, I had no idea that prices had risen so much (see this link). The material I was trying to recall was also a serpentine that was popular a few years ago: lizardite with white chrysotile stripes from Brazil (also looked very much like yours in color and pattern, had some sparkle, but no chatoyance). I almost wonder if the piece on etsy is the Brazilian material rather than Arizona tiger eye? If it just has some sparkle and shimmer, rather than any cat's eye/chatoyant line phenomenon, then they may have gotten their ID wrong, but difficult to tell from the photos.

Kerrismama

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 01:19:03 PM »

There is a form of serpentine with chatoyancy from Arizona and California that is sold as "Arizona tiger eye," "California tiger eye," "Arizona pietersite," etc. It mostly varies between pale salmon, yellow to yellow-green, but occasionally can be more of an emerald green with patterns such as your piece. As you say it is flakey and chatoyant, I suspect that or another serpentine is what may you have.

Added: Whoa, I had no idea that prices had risen so much (see this link). The material I was trying to recall was also a serpentine that was popular a few years ago: lizardite with white chrysotile stripes from Brazil (also looked very much like yours in color and pattern, had some sparkle, but no chatoyance). I almost wonder if the piece on etsy is the Brazilian material rather than Arizona tiger eye? If it just has some sparkle and shimmer, rather than any cat's eye/chatoyant line phenomenon, then they may have gotten their ID wrong, but difficult to tell from the photos.
Interesting. I think you may be right about it being a serpentine, although I can't find anything online that looks even remotely like it. It's the patterning of it that throws me off the most I think.

Stonemon

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »

Fuchsite mica?

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 40 queries.