Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hawaii...anything to look for?  (Read 1743 times)

ToTheSummit

Hawaii...anything to look for?
« on: April 25, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »

So I'm leaving for Hawaii at the end of the month.  Be there for 2 weeks.  I will be on all 4 major islands (Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Hawaii) at some point.  I know the islands aren't know for their stones being such (geologically) young places, but is there anything I should look for while I'm there?

bobby1

Re: Hawaii...anything to look for?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 10:05:44 PM »

Bathing beauties on the beach.
Bob

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:54:07 PM »

Legally harvested black Coral.
But unfortunately, that's not something you could do yourself.
Anything not given, is lost.

Stonemon

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 07:36:10 AM »

The locals have in the past, held a belief that is will bring bad luck to whomever removes stones, Pele's hair or other natural items from the islands.
I do not know if there are laws, or rules associated with those beliefs.
I am envious of your two weeks in the islands. I have spent a lot of time there and love the big island as a second home....
Life has not granted me the space recently to travel as the farm and critters do not allow for wandering much.
Our choices bring consequences!
Have fun!
Bill

Bill

Slabbercabber

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 07:44:54 AM »

The islands were created recently (geologically speaking) by volcanic activity.  That doesn't leave much for rockhounding but there should be olivine and peridot on the beaches.  I would expect any crystals to be very small.

Stonemon

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:28:01 AM »

The greensand beaches near South Point, big island are largely composed of olivine xstal, some of size (not sure of the size context). It is a bit of a walk and usually hot down there.

Bill

ileney

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »

Are the black sand beaches actually olivine or is that something different? I assumed they were volcanic “sand.”’ I think I’d take a little scoop of black sand if that’s allowed, because that sounds really cool.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 03:14:12 PM »

scan the tourist shops for jade massage stones that can be slabbed. The Honolulu flea market could be rock searchers paradise. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 12:20:25 AM »

Small peridot in the lava rocks

freeformcabs

• freeformcabs by Shain Mayer
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 08:34:21 AM »

On Maui, NW area near Nakalele Blowhole I found junky types of Peridot. I did not collect it because I read you were not allowed. But I did end up purchasing some nice gemmy examples later on.
https://goo.gl/maps/NymfbEpgnVD2
~Shain

Greg Hiller

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 01:32:00 PM »

Sometimes certain shells can have nice color in them that can be cut and polished (purple spiny oyster for instance).  Not sure if you can really find that in Hawaii though. 
Always interested in trading slabs and rough

ToTheSummit

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 03:12:34 PM »

Well, Hawaii was awesome.  Got to see and do a lot of great things.  Didn't really make any effort to find rocks/shells/coral while on the islands, just generally vacationed.  We had 4 days on Oahu with a car and that was great because we got to do and see a lot of things there (my wife grew up there).  Then we caught a cruise ship that took us to the other islands. The Big Island decided to explode a few days before our vacation so that was kinda cool.  I took a helicopter flight there and got to see some awesome sights.  Kauai was stunningly beautiful, and the taxi driver told us how lucky we got because it was the first sunny day there in a long time (they had massive floods there 2 weeks prior to our visit).  I think I liked Maui the best of all the islands, but theres really nothing bad that can be said about any of them.

After our tour of the islands the cruise ship took us to Canada.  We were supposed to just get off in Vancouver and head home but due to a medical emergency aboard the ship they steamed in early and stopped for a day in Victoria (Vancouver Island).  This unscheduled stop was a pleasant surprise.  Victoria is an amazing little city and I would've loved to had some more time there.  But the one nice thing is it allowed me the opportunity to come home from my trip with a couple of rocks.  As I walked up the beach I dropped a couple of cobbles in my pocket to bring home.  I know little of the geology there, but I picked up at least 2 rocks that I know I can cut and polish.  I will share them and get Franks expert opinion on them in due time.

Anyway, if you haven't been to Hawaii its worth the trip at least once in your life.  And I think I want to go back to Vancouver Island someday for sure!

plumeria by Karl Camp, on Flickr

rocks2dust

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 03:55:14 PM »

Very nice that Kilauea put on the show for you! Your pic of the plumeria brought back memories of the lovely scent, even though it's been a few decades since I last was there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 48 queries.