Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blade choice for trim saw?  (Read 1667 times)

Rockin' Randy

• Rockin' Ran-De's Jewelry
Blade choice for trim saw?
« on: November 24, 2018, 02:00:02 PM »

I am buying a used Lortone trim saw which will need a blade. I believe it is a 6" or 7" blade.  I am considering an MK 303 but open to suggestions. I will be cutting everything from agates to Petoskey stones for cabbing. I would also appreciate some thoughts on kerf size.
Thank you!
Randy

ileney

Re: Blade choice for trim saw?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 09:34:00 PM »

I like the yellow blazer blades by raytech.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 06:52:44 AM »

We use MK 303 blades. You will also see BD 303 (Barranca Diamond) in search results. It's the same blade.

If you're new to using a 6" trim saw, you might want to start off with the .050" thickness. It will deflect less and give you straighter cuts. The .050" is even stiff enough to slice small nodules.

If you have high-end rough you want to trim or slice later on, you'll want a .032", or even thinner for some rough. There's a blade out there called the Pro-Slicer that's really thin. Others offer really thin blades too, but the Pro-Slicer is one that's been used by lots of people for a long time.

Be aware of the difference between core thickness and rim thickness when you buy blades. Some blades might advertise core thickness, but you want to know the rim thickness, so you know how wide your cut will be.

Have fun!

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff

Rockin' Randy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 05:10:24 PM »

Thanks guys. I will be picking up the saw tomorrow so I will make an order as soon as I know the blade diameter for sure. All your thoughts have been helpful. I have used a few different saws, yet don't really know what blade kerf they had. I can relate to thinner kerfs for cutting pricier materials, and thicker ones when a a stiffer blade is needed. I appreciate seeing some numbers from you guys. Maybe I'll get a couple of blades.

ileney

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 01:20:13 PM »

The reason I like the yellow blazer blade is it is stiff, but the kerf is only .020 in the 6”. My 4” blade has lasted a very long time even though I really abuse it.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »

Good to know about the yellow blazer. The .020" MK/BD 303 is pretty easy to push around. If you slice small nodules it's easy to wind up with "wedgie" slabs. Thanks.

Rockin' Randy

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 08:32:53 PM »

Thanks ileney. I did look those up last night and I like that they are sintered - my understanding is it's a good thing.

Rockin' Randy

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 08:44:30 PM »

Let me tell you about the saw. I just picked it up and got it home a couple of hours ago. I belong to a rock and gem club and someone had donated it to be auctioned off at our meeting. We only saw a photo and was told it was 6". The bid started at $30 and when it got to $60, nobody bid against me. When I picked it up I discovered it was a Lortone Lt-8. So yes, I measured and it is an 8" blade I will be in the market for. There is a blade on it, looks very worn and heavy like a masonry blade. This is the last vital piece of equipment I needed to be able to cut and shape cabs to make my jewelery. I am so geeked!

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 05:14:16 AM »

Bigger saw! Score! Good for you - that's like Christmas early.

I'm guessin' it's this one - https://www.kingsleynorth.com/skshop/product.php?id=98055&catID=1036 - just not stainless.

Orrum

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 06:08:01 AM »

I use a hi end priced ceramic tile saw blade. It's thick and you can abuse the heck out of it!  Change out to a super thin blade for turquoise etc.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 07:24:19 AM »

I use the mean green blades  and they are cheap and cut well.I use them with water but do not leave them in water when not in use.

Rockin' Randy

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 08:32:24 PM »

It was a real toss up for me between the Yellow Blazer and MK-303.  I called with plans to order the Blazer and ended up deciding to go with the 303 at the last second. I do plan to get one of those cheaper heavy blades for hogging through Petoskey rocks and such, I like that idea. Down the road I still want to try the Blazer and compare it to the 303. Maybe next year or however long it takes me to ruin this blade (hopefully I won't bend it up or something the first week). And yes Vince, that's the saw. Thanks for all your input and ideas, it all helped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 48 queries.