Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Removed wire on "an outside the box wrap"  (Read 9339 times)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
Removed wire on "an outside the box wrap"
« on: January 24, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »

My "what if I try this" mentality is shining again. I have just about every kind of string and cord you can imagine so something new was just waiting to happen.

This wrap would have been way easier if it wouldn't have been a two sided cab. The reason for the silver wire is to cover up the back side of the bail, not to hold the bail together.

I have a bunch of other cabs to try this on but I would like some feedback on this before I continue on the others so feel free to praise or bash this one. The stone is jadeite out of Burma or Myanmar.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
    • Helene Fielder Sculptures
Re: Ain't wire but is an outside the box wrap
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:24:41 AM »

Your talking to someone who really likes black cording or dark leather in jewelry.  It stays in the background and gives the stone front and center.  two suggestions or experiments, antique the silver black and when you wrap your next stone make sure both ends stop in the back for an extra clean look.  These suggestions, I know are super picky, because I think this approach is fabulous.  I'm assuming you have a channel grove that the cording is resting in.

Helene

Itsandbits

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 08:59:18 AM »

Looks like another winner Jim; I think a copper wire might look a little better on this one though.
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

wampidy

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 10:53:55 AM »

Your talking to someone who really likes black cording or dark leather in jewelry.  It stays in the background and gives the stone front and center.  two suggestions or experiments, antique the silver black and when you wrap your next stone make sure both ends stop in the back for an extra clean look.  These suggestions, I know are super picky, because I think this approach is fabulous.  I'm assuming you have a channel grove that the cording is resting in.

Maybe I did not make it clear enough and I should have added a photo of the other side, this is a two sided cab and I had a difficult time getting the wire to end/start right. I probably should do wire on this one for that reason.

You lost me on the antique the silver black suggestion. I wanted to use string on the bail but did not have anything I could use. Even some matching thread would probably be better than the silver.

This is why I put this one out there. I wanted this kind of feed back. Thank you for that.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

wampidy

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »

Looks like another winner Jim; I think a copper wire might look a little better on this one though.

You may be right on with the copper. I like the green cord but with this being a two sided cab it did not work out as good as I wanted.

The toughest part is controlling the glue. If the glue migrates through the cord it makes a darker spot. I could probably put HXTAL on all of the cord when the rap is finished but that is something I will have to experiment with.

Thanks for your input.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 11:02:22 AM »

I am with Frank. I love the pendant but it needs brown or copper colored thread to accentuate instead of distracting.  My two cents and you don't have to give me any change:)
And if you do change it out lay it on a less busy background for me to see please. I love the dragon and the flames but again it draws the eye away from the stone.
Dark colors always draw the eye first. So when I look at your art I see black background first. It is true in all circumstances. Go into a room in your house and close your eyes and then look and name what you see first. It is always the darkest color:) History lesson from Painter:)

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 11:02:54 AM »

The cord looks black to me not green sorry.

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 03:47:05 PM »

Artists create depth through color manipulation.  Bright colors bring images forward and dark colors receed.  First you see the bright red in the background, second the metal, then the lighter/glossy stone, lastly the black cording.  Yellow is the brightest color, then orange to red on the color wheel.   Sometimes squinting your eyes when you look at an image will help you see what actually is jumping at you first.   

Black and white are not color hues, but tint and shades. 

This stuff may seem picky and silly, but what we think we see and what we actually see are often not the same.  Understanding basic composition and color theory is a huge asset to achieving your own personal artistic vision.

I use liver of sulfur to blacken silver or cooper. 
Helene

wampidy

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 04:08:56 PM »

Okay, gotcha. Reshoot with different background and show more than just the one view. Shit, I thought I knew everything and here I am learning at my age.  :dontknow: :icon_tongue: :angel9: I am also going to take off the silver wire and wrap it with something else. Not sure what "else" I have but I will find something.

Here is something else for you to complain about  :thumbsup: while I am fixing the first wankle. It is a braided twisted string. As just a twisted string it is kind of meh but seems to come alive when braided. The bracelet is not finished, I am going to add some amethyst beads to the string and the center of the braided part. The stone is ice cream opal from Idaho.

Thank you all for taking the time to teach me a few things and give my your opinions. On the other forum I only get "wow" "great" "sweet" and I want to hear about the pendant, not about me cause I already know that.  :angel9:
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

wampidy

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 04:13:18 PM »

HA I forgot to hit POST after I did the preview. Oh well. I reshot the pendant and will post the pics as soon as I get them into the computer. Sheesh.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

wampidy

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 04:34:14 PM »

New pics. Not great but these are not for sale photos, just plain photos for you plain folks. Just adulting ok.

Hot damn I found some new cord today. The blue is my favorite and the inside is not white like the other cord which makes it tougher to make the ends look good. Now I need to cab some sodalite so I can use it. Well, head hanging down, if ya'll think it is ok. :dontknow:

The back side of the stone. Guess I should say the other side of the stone because it can be worn either way.

It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

wampidy

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 04:57:30 PM »

Here are some photos of other cabs with different cord held onto them. I took these before ya'll taught me the stuff I have already forgotten so have to go back and study. Sorry but I am a slow learner. Most people would call me color ignorant but I am leaning toward color stupid. My son has tried to teach me some color stuff but I can not seem to get it to sink in. It is kind of like my carving. I can carve the hell out of things but if I have to try to draw what I want to carve, forget it. Picture and carbon paper which is starting to get hard to find. bla bla bla. I need someone close by to whack me when I start to wander. Hmmmm wonder who that could be?

I thought I did two more but no more pics.

Same rules, I am here to learn.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »

I am loving your experimenting mind-set Jim. You are motivating me.  I find that I am captivated by this post and the route you are taking.

Now that you are playing with color you need to ask yourself a few questions.  What is your focal point, the spectacular stone or cord?  One can overpower the other.  Taking pictures and then looking at them for record was a brilliant idea.  Now you can scroll down and decide which you like best.
Helene

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »

I love the first one, the ice cream opal. Looks good with the twisted cord, the color is pulling those colors out of the opal.
I do like the green cord with the stone now since I can see it:) It is also pulling color out of the stone:)
I never meant to make you think I am criticizing you, I am in a few jewelry clubs and we are always just telling each other what we think.  If you like what I say, take it with a grain of salt and if not, then it is your creation:) Rock on. :)

wampidy

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 07:23:22 PM »

I love the first one, the ice cream opal. Looks good with the twisted cord, the color is pulling those colors out of the opal.
I do like the green cord with the stone now since I can see it:) It is also pulling color out of the stone:)
I never meant to make you think I am criticizing you, I am in a few jewelry clubs and we are always just telling each other what we think.  If you like what I say, take it with a grain of salt and if not, then it is your creation:) Rock on. :)

I ben tryin ta tell ya that I don't learn a damn thing if everyone just tells me they are great because I am a good person. But I am gunna mess wit ya just to have a little fun. Criticize away darlin, I don't get upset much.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 52 queries.