Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Few questions for admins  (Read 1088 times)

mearic71

• Peach Photo
Few questions for admins
« on: October 16, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »

Sounds scary, but not.
Thinking of starting one of these forums for a military history group i'm in.
Can you tell me:
1. How easily is it to set up?
2. Pros and cons.
3. Do I need my own web space?
4. It say's it free, but nothing is truly free?
5. Any else i need to know before starting. Ex: giving away all my free time.
Any help would be great.
You can pm if you would like.
Thank You
Michael

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Few questions for admins
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 08:47:14 AM »

You need a very thick skin to run one of these. They are attacked incessantly and people will eventually try to disrupt it after being members of good standing. The worst expense is often to get things fixed after  a hosting screw up.Pick you host very wisely. Keep the conflict to an absolute minimum as there will be lots of attempts to bully other members .Think about the massive amounts of time to vet membership requests and read everything each day to maintain discipline.Many of us here from the beginning remember how extremely hard it was at times. If you do not like conflict and avoid it  running a site is not for you as it will fill your day with stress.

mearic71

• Peach Photo
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 07:38:16 AM »

Good to know thank you.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 01:53:16 PM »

You need a very thick skin to run one of these. They are attacked incessantly and people will eventually try to disrupt it after being members of good standing. The worst expense is often to get things fixed after  a hosting screw up.Pick you host very wisely. Keep the conflict to an absolute minimum as there will be lots of attempts to bully other members .Think about the massive amounts of time to vet membership requests and read everything each day to maintain discipline.Many of us here from the beginning remember how extremely hard it was at times. If you do not like conflict and avoid it  running a site is not for you as it will fill your day with stress.

With this said, these other staff members have massive amounts of graceful patience.
You will need a solid hosting, someone that can go into your control panel on your hosting and understand it, Few hundred bucks in a bank acct to back up and repairs in the server, Patience, be tolerant of others views in life without having to condemn them for their views and accept them as they are with all their faults "like the rest of the staff do with me :)" lol!

Its a big thing setting up a website forum, those free forum websites are more expensive than using your own hosting.

The other thing, pay many years in advance for your hosting, its less costly when its time to renew.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 33 queries.