Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Round Wire Rolling Mill  (Read 2202 times)

ivanhoe

Round Wire Rolling Mill
« on: February 20, 2018, 11:39:19 AM »

Not sure where to post this question? If it doesn't fit please feel free to move it where it will do the most good. Question being ... Is there or do they manufacture a round wire rolling mill? That is, roll out a round wire. I have a small mill but the wire is square and you have to use a round wire draw plate to make it round.

Does any of our forum members have a round wire mill capable of rolling round wire and what are your impressions of it?
How round is the wire it rolls ... what would be a good mill manufacturer and cost expected to pay for one? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you very much!  IV

ileney

Re: Round Wire Rolling Mill
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »

They do make round wire rolling mill cylinders. Often, rolling mills seem to come with half the usual flat blank plate, and the other half round wire, but some make square or half round. I think maybe Durston's are round. Some mills sell interchangeable cylinders and have round wire ones that can be switched in. The price varies wildly based upon quality. The cheapest rolling mills I've seen probably can't be trusted for doing what you need done. They have ones out of china now for $350 or less but I personally would not trust those to get the job done. I think you should call and ask ottofrei (ottofrei.com) as they probably know.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Robin

ivanhoe

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:44:46 PM »

https://www.gesswein.com/p-11183-durston-round-rolling-mill-100.aspx

That's a fine link and great looking round rolling mill. Not that it would matter all that much $$. but it would be nice to see what the round wire coming out of this or these kind of mills actually looks like? IV

ivanhoe

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »

They do make round wire rolling mill cylinders. Often, rolling mills seem to come with half the usual flat blank plate, and the other half round wire, but some make square or half round. I think maybe Durston's are round. Some mills sell interchangeable cylinders and have round wire ones that can be switched in. The price varies wildly based upon quality. The cheapest rolling mills I've seen probably can't be trusted for doing what you need done. They have ones out of china now for $350 or less but I personally would not trust those to get the job done. I think you should call and ask ottofrei (ottofrei.com) as they probably know.

I have an old Durston's .. half rd .. square wire .. & flat area. At the time, if I recall correctly, I purchased it when it was on sale: and at that time round wire mills were not available to the home hobbyists. That's been awhile ago.

Really $$ I am in no hurry. It is interesting to know that round wire interchangeable rollers or cylinders are available. It would be helpful to see what the round wire coming out of these less expensive mills looks like. Nice thing is that pattern rollers, & other roller options are available. Thank you!  IV 

Rooi

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 05:55:48 AM »

Not sure where to post this question? If it doesn't fit please feel free to move it where it will do the most good. Question being ... Is there or do they manufacture a round wire rolling mill? That is, roll out a round wire. I have a small mill but the wire is square and you have to use a round wire draw plate to make it round.

Does any of our forum members have a round wire mill capable of rolling round wire and what are your impressions of it?
How round is the wire it rolls ... what would be a good mill manufacturer and cost expected to pay for one? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you very much!  IV
I am preaching here to the converted, but generally rolling square and drawing down through round draw plates is the best option. Otherwise there may be pinching and as a result flukes and any number of untold issues.
That said I am sure there is a work around, but that sounds costly

Sent from my SM-N900U using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 38 queries.