Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to get your fix (rough suppliers)  (Read 9579 times)

Neural

• Opal Addict
Where to get your fix (rough suppliers)
« on: January 18, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »

The opal section of this forum does not have one of these threads yet, so here it is :P

Post your supplier info for purchasing Opal rough!   I only have one currently, and I'm looking for more.  If you list someone, please be sure to include a little about your overall experience with the seller, and give them a grade too.  Don't be afraid to list sellers that you'd give an "F" grade to as well.  Don't trash them, but if you have had bad dealings, let others know simply by giving them a low grade and a very short explanation as to why (try to remain factual.  i.e. "product not as described" or "product a bit pricey for quality").

My first, and favorite, so far, is Village Smithy Opal.
http://villagesmithyopals.com/  I give this guy an "A" rating.  I'd have to say that the majority of the opal rough I've ordered over the years has been through VSO.  You might wonder why I'm looking for newer dealers when I have such a good source?  Well, the issue is that he's not dealing as much in Lightning Ridge now, and I'm leaning towards that these days.  VSO is a great US based source for Coober Pedy opal though.  I do not know about the quality or pricing fairness of his Welo offerings however.  The owner is very helpful when it comes to returns as well, so long as you've not rubbed or cut any of the pieces.  I've had to return stuff once or twice, and he's always been really quick and easy to deal with about it.

That's my addition to the list for now.  If anyone else has sources, please post them here.  Also, if anyone has had any dealings with Justin at Black Opal Direct, I'd like opinions there as well.  His stuff seems decently priced, and he's also fairly active, in what I've seen, at keeping new product moving in.
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

sealdaddy

Re: Where to get your fix (rough suppliers)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 10:43:05 PM »

The VSO Montana supplier's opals look pretty good... and are very high priced, and high shipping on top of that.
But I'm tempted to try some of this Indian seller's much lower priced rough ($about $4.99...and with free international shipping too. Or for about $1 at auction, with $4.99 shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-80CTS-100-NATURAL-PLAY-COLOR-ETHIOPIAN-WELO-OPAL-ROUGH-CABOCHON-GEMSTONE-/361467442532?hash=item5429237564

I will be getting delivery on some in a couple weeks.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 06:34:00 AM »

Good luck.  Welo is a little different in that it's a hydrophane opal, so it will suck up water while you're cutting it.  It will also lose it's color while it's wet, so be aware that will happen. It will dry out and the color will come back usually, but there is a slight chance that it will turn milky instead of clear and never look quite like it did before it got wet.  Happened to me on the first (and last) Welo I cut.  It can be a very beautiful stone, though.
Robin

Neural

• Opal Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:41:08 AM »

I have two small bits of Welo that I got for $20 a while back.  Going to dry cut them eventually, but I don't plan to ever cut Welo for anything more than an experiment.  It looks fantastic when cut, but the water issues are just not worth it in my opinion.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 04:29:04 PM »

I actually cut three stones from one 2-gram piece of rough. Sawed through a mud pocket and an inclusion to get the three pieces. Cut them wet since orientation wasn't an issue, and all three came back to be nice little stones. Maybe not quite as translucent as before cutting. Robin's chunk did come back milky - nothing like it was to begin with.

Was a bit strange grinding on them as the color disappeared.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 08:36:18 PM »

i absolutely love working opals, but, they are really expensive and i cant afford the nicer large pieces so i am boycotting opals.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 06:01:04 AM »

Yeah, prices are high for sure. One carver in Australia commented his rough costs about five times what it did just a few years ago.

The post above with a link to an eBay auction took me to a 3.8 carat piece of rough for $6.99. That makes that single piece of rough $275 per ounce.

Really (I mean really) nice Lightning Ridge rough we saw in Quartzsite a couple of years ago was $10,000/oz.

sealdaddy

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »

I found this:

Shaping and polishing Ethiopian Welo opals is largely up to personal preference. First off, I am hearing a lot of people talking about cutting there Welo opals dry. I find if you study your rough before and during the cutting process you can often see more to it than there initially was with water. For example, as the opal is getting wet the outside will turn crystal and the center will be an “orb” of opaque opal with color plays all around the opaque part. As that orb shrinks you can see what color play is going on precisely that deep in the opal by seeing the outer most skin of the orb, its like a window foreshadowing what your getting into… I’ve certainly found a few harlequins with this technique, and you can also see exactly how deep to cut when the pattern is at its prime.  When I do end up cutting my opals dry it is just for pre-shaping, once I see exactly what I want and have have it shaped its time to fine tune and polish with the aid of water.

To avoid losing too much material and keep a nice shape to my piece I like to take my time with shaping and do as much as I can with higher grit diamond wheels than I would normally use with other material. I usually go through a progression on a flat lap pre-shaping with a very worn down 1200 diamond wheel, then go through a series of wet/dry sandpaper on the flat lap. I make sure each piece of wet/dry sand paper is well broken in before working the opal, or break it in on a spot I missed that the previous grit should have taken care of. The progression I go through is 320, 600, 1,200, 2,000, then use on muslin wheels 3000 grit diamond paste up to 14,000, and finish with the 50,000 for that beautiful “wet” finished look.

I have also seen great success going from 1200/3000 on a diamond wheel to cerium oxide or French oxide for final polish. The problem I have seen is working the hydrophane opal too much with Cerium Oxide will make an “orange peel” effect, where the surface is polished but has a grainy texture. In my experience it seems like the more hydrophane a piece is the more of a problem cerium oxide can be. I would recommend trying as many techniques as you have the opportunity to work with, as they will help you develop and create a style you feel most comfortable working with, and ultimately make the best cuts and polish possible.

Take your time with it and don’t put too much pressure on the opals. Getting a good polish is one of the hardest parts of getting a great finished gem. Work grits 600 and up very well, make sure the gem is completely rounded and every mark of the previous grit is worn out. Welo opals are soft, but they can take a bit longer to polish up than you think, but practice and patience should give you a good feel soon enough. Have fun with these and get to know the material. The more you work with opals the greater your eye for the material will get. Soon enough you’ll be creating aesthetically elegant shapes with plays of color oriented to make some unbelievable gems!

LadyDarkKitten

• Amature wire wrapper and lapidary noob
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »

The VSO Montana supplier's opals look pretty good... and are very high priced, and high shipping on top of that.
But I'm tempted to try some of this Indian seller's much lower priced rough ($about $4.99...and with free international shipping too. Or for about $1 at auction, with $4.99 shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-80CTS-100-NATURAL-PLAY-COLOR-ETHIOPIAN-WELO-OPAL-ROUGH-CABOCHON-GEMSTONE-/361467442532?hash=item5429237564

I will be getting delivery on some in a couple weeks.

So did you ever get that opal?
My names Amanda, I'm a wire wrapper and rock enthusiast

sealdaddy

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 03:01:59 PM »

yes...but now I'm having to leave, and quit the thing I love doing

mirkaba

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 12:14:14 PM »

Opal prices have sky rocketed. Village Smithy Opal is a top notch dealer. I am scrimping and scraping and saving up to get an order before they get totally out of reach. Last winter I picked through my much picked over stash and pulled about 50 small cabs out. Sorted out a pound or so of potch. Going to put on Ebay one of these days.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 01:34:52 PM »

I went to Seal Daddy's link and looked at what the vendor sells.  There is a lot of junk with wild color dyed Agates listed as "Natural" like one that is red, green, purple and blue in the same stone.  I am not sure how the Opal was he got.  I have bought from VSO for a few years and Steve is great and I have gotten some amazing pieces.  I got one that I will put pics in this post that came in the $99.-Oz mine run packages.  I did the 3 package and it dropped to 89-Oz.  The one stone when cut will way more than pay for all 3 ounces bought.

I got a lot of great cutting pieces and every package was worth much more than I paid.  This is just my personal experience with VSO.

Neural

• Opal Addict
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 08:54:56 AM »

wow!  That one will cut a nice stone. Do please post the finished cab! :D

Opal Mike

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 01:05:40 AM »

Hi, I thought I might update your information in regards to South Australian opal. Firstly let me introduce myself, my name is Mike and I am a professional opal cutter who has lived in Coober Pedy from 1986 to 2005.

I am one of the very few large scale commercial cutters still working in commercial quantities of opal.

I can tell you that the commentary surrounding Australian opal prices going up rapidly is correct. In terms of Coober Pedy, traditionally the worlds largest opal field, production is at an all time low. I was there last week and had dinner with the head of the mines department up there who confirmed to me that the number of full time mining companies is now below 30.

Prices for rough have sky-rocketed, particularly in the lower grades, and milky material which we call 'grey' material. To give an example, opal that I used to pay 150 oz for 3 to 4 years ago to cut C- C+ opal triplets is now going at up to $600 oz. Potch and colour, and even potch is fetching big money also, I mean crazy money!

This is not all bad news. Opal prices for many many years went nowhere. When I started buying parcels of rough in 1986, right up to about 4 years ago, prices went up and down, but never up very far. Meanwhile mining costs soared, legislation made mining more difficult and expensive also. Opal mining started to steadily decline, not for lack of opal, or lack of claims, but simply because the price of rough was too low.

I have never been frightened of buying opal. Indeed I just paid 14K for a little under 3 oz of material. Yes it is very good quality crystal, and yes it was expensive, but not really. Not when you compare the amount of high quality jewelry pieces we will end up making out if it.

The flip side of higher prices, particularly for the lower grade material is that digging the stuff out of the ground may once again become an attractive proposition. To give you an example of how hard it is to find, consider this. A good friend of mine is a large scale miner, who uses excavators, Calwell drill, and other big machinery. They work hard and long hours and have not found any opal at all for almost 2 years. meanwhile their mining expenses run at about 10K a month.

90 % of all the opal dug out is either 'grey' (milky) material, or worse, with lots and lots of potch and 'potch and colour' in between. For these larger scale miners, the low grade material of which they find heaps is not really worth stopping to dig out....until now!

The rapid rise in prices is due to Indian buyers entering the market and creating markets for very low grade opal (potch or white coloured stones). This is good news actually. I anticipate that mining activity will slowly start to pick up again, and from just yesterday, another retired mining friend of mine is heading back to Coober Pedy for one week every month to do some prospect drilling.

Recent changes to the mining act now allows miners to peg claims and work them when they want. Prior to the changes it was a requirement to work opal claims for a minimum of 20 hours per week, making it hard for part time miners, or people from far way to come in their breaks and have a crack.

My advice to all of you looking to buy opal. Keep buying Australian opal, but make sure you buy from a reliable source who knows exactly where the opal is from. Every field produces good, and bad opal, and speaking of Coober Pedy, opal can vary dramatically from claim to claim and even from level to level within the one claim. But, Australian opal when you buy right, is healthy, and very good quality.

This last point is pretty important if you are planning on putting your stone into jewelry. Gold is very expensive, so whatever you put in it needs to be stable!

I may be biased, but nothing can be more rewarding than cutting an opal (Australian), and after cutting hundreds of thousands of them, I still get surprised, and excited when I take them off the sticks!

I am not going to make comment about non-Australian opal, I can't afford to touch it as I guarantee all of my stones!

Anyway, I hope this is useful..

Cheers,
Mike

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 07:12:44 AM »

Thanks so much for the information. It's great for people hesitant to buy because they think the prices they see are too high, and for cutters who have prospective buyers saying the same thing. We (as cutters) hear that quite often.

Last show we did there was a guy (said he was a former cutter) who was fairly unpleasant in telling me our prices were "crazy". Told me what he used to pay - and how much less his sold for - when he cut years ago. I told him why prices are higher now, but he obviously didn't believe it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 55 queries.