Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to wheatguy and his Pietersite Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fish tank air pump for my titan  (Read 307 times)

gunsil

fish tank air pump for my titan
« on: August 08, 2017, 11:13:33 AM »

The air pump for my Titan has fairly well worn out, (old single pump model) no longer round on the cylinder. I hooked up a fish tank air pump but it doesn't seem to blow the water up to the wheels as well as the original pump. Does anybody know if there are higher capacity fish tank pumps or are they all the same? Thanks!

womanwithatorch

Re: fish tank air pump for my titan
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:53:20 AM »

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I might learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 02:12:37 PM »

That is the model I use on my Titan after one of the 2 pumps gave up the ghost.  I put the existing pump and this bubbler under the wheel and get lots of water to the wheel.  Bubbler alone would work I just believe i lots of water.  I have used the bubbler for a couple years and love it.  I am going to keep another on hand for when the 2nd Titan pump goes out.  Titan pump itself was still in order it was just the cam part of the pump down on the shaft.  I keep the remaining pump oiled and rebuild when needed.

Greg Hiller

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 08:52:49 AM »

If you are looking for a high quality air pump from the fish hobby the one you want is a "Tetra Luft" pump.  I have many of these and they last forever.  Most other air pumps for the fish hobby are very low quality and fail fairly quickly (in my experience). 
Always interested in trading slabs and rough

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:03:05 PM »

Just to change the subject a little, there is a video on youtube about fixing these pumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BifBrxHKdjo&t=3s
Steve

gunsil

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 03:30:39 PM »

Just to change the subject a little, there is a video on youtube about fixing these pumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BifBrxHKdjo&t=3s
Steve

Thanks Steve, I had seen that video. I purchased a rebuild kit from Diamond Pacific at Quartsite and when assembled I could not fit the piston assembly back into the cylinder. Then I closely inspected the cylinder and realized it had worn out-of-round meaning even new leather washers on the piston was not really going to cure my problem. I may take it to a machine shop and see if when re-bored I can get the piston back in without too much play. In the meantime I went to the fish tank air pump but I think the original pump made more cubic feet per minute air flow.

gunsil

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 03:33:39 PM »

Thanks to all for the replies, I will look at the Tetra Luft, my main concern is pressure and cubic feet per minute air delivery, I don't know if all fish tank pumps run the same specs or not.

gunsil

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 04:18:48 PM »

Did some research on aquarium air pumps and it seems the larger the tank the more pressure and volume is required to supply the air to greater depth. I got really lucky this AM at a flea market and found a Tetra "Whisper" model pump for up to 100 gallon tank for ten bucks. Much better than the cheaper smaller pump I was using. The Whisper is very nicely rubber mounted and very quiet.

edgarscale

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »

will it over heat?  as far as i know all fish pumps are submerged and therefore cooled?
50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

gunsil

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 06:18:17 AM »

No, it is an air pump, not a water pump. I am using it to supply air to the "spitters or geysers" on my Titan grinding/polishing machine. I had tried a cheaper air pump but it did not seem to get the water up to the wheels as well as the original mechanical Titan pump which has worn out.

MilanJoe

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 06:25:34 AM »

The air pump for my Titan has fairly well worn out, (old single pump model) no longer round on the cylinder. I hooked up a fish tank air pump but it doesn't seem to blow the water up to the wheels as well as the original pump. Does anybody know if there are higher capacity fish tank pumps or are they all the same? Thanks!

I'm refurbishing a Highland Park E-10 Saw/Cabbing machine. The HP pump wiring insulation was totally rotted, and I couldn't figure out how to get the pump stand apart. Necessity being the mother of invention, I ordered a very small, cheap (around $8) aquarium pump from Amazon and it works just fine in early testing. I have it suspended about an inch off the bottom of my collector tank to keep sediment out. It is a magnetic drive unit and easy to remove the impeller for cleaning, should it need it.

Works for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 40 queries.