Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharp Eye on the wood pile  (Read 1208 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Sharp Eye on the wood pile
« on: November 22, 2017, 02:27:39 PM »

On one of my last trips to Texas before the ranch sold and was closed I stopped by a rock shop and he had some Arizona Wood.  He wanted a lot $20. per lb and I thought no way for wood.  I looked through the pieces and spotted this gem and saw the black patterns that showed on both ends of the roughly 6 to 7" piece and no obvious cross fractures so common in the wood.  I talked him down to $12. per lb for the 3 pieces I wanted.  1st pic is the rind I saw and the 2nd 2 pics are slices.  Really lucked out on this piece of wood, hard to come by it.  Last pic is unrelated but is a piece of the Golden Lace Plume Mary Frances Strong talked about in her early books.  I found the spot a few years ago going from her old maps.  This was a piece I decided to pull out and slice.  The material comes out in pieces so you have to orient the odd shapes to get the slice or 2 out of each.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Sharp Eye on the wood pile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 06:30:09 PM »

Unusual and beautiful , thanks for enlightening us.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 05:09:32 AM »

I like the AZ wood that has mostly reds and blacks like this.  Sometimes there is waste and or frustration due to porosity or fractures, but oh when you find a good slab or section for multiple slabs, you have a prize. The other piece is out of this world beautiful. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Jhon P

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 07:41:37 AM »

I like That golden lace!

Sandsave

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »

Nice find beautiful wood

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 12:18:07 AM »

The largest piece of the lace actually had a lavender/purple agate with the plumes.  I'll try and find it in all the mess of me moving rocks around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 35 queries.