Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: California fires  (Read 2318 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: California fires
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 06:25:59 AM »

Your response reminds  me of the state of being my family had when they arrived here as refugees from various political movements in Europe. In addition  your sentiments sound remarkably like those of a friend  who became totally paralyzed and spent a year in an iron lung. He eventually regained some control of his head and arms  and has had years now to examine how he looks at the world. He takes his tragedy with him everyday  in the form of his failing body but has led an exemplary life  by always reaching out to others to try to bridge the gaps that we create between us. You seem to have made something very positive out of a horrendous situation and most do not seem to have the courage to do that. Yours was a very well spoken post , thanks for sharing your perspective.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 03:10:45 PM »

I have been researching Barricade Fire Gel

http://firegel.com/

for awhile now and wonder if anyone here has any experience with this product. I'm not in as much danger as I was in CA (I lived in Sonoma County for 11 years) but it's a topic which still interests me. It seems that many in CA would have thought about these products and prepared for fire. And if so I'm wondering if this product is working to save homes.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 07:20:42 PM »

I have seen pictures of firefighters deploying gel on homes and know some insurance companys will cover it in some cases.

Kaljaia

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 08:00:33 PM »

In my area we have accepted that grass fires are fightable, but structure fires are not. We don't have the equipment or training to enter a building. In '15, folks in the community had to decide whose house to sacrifice. Luckily BLM showed up in time with a helicopter and a bucket.
I'm on the volunteer fire team and our first line of defense is indeed the lawn sprinkler system. Then comes the ancient, antiquated donated fire trucks and decommissioned gear. Our last line is renters' insurance. Firefighting is a time-consuming, expensive business for rural communities, and a little scary when you know the coat and pants are older than you are and the water pressure in the hydrant might  be too low to fill the hose. The shed where I keep my rock equipment has partially burned and been rebuilt twice now in twenty years- once from an electrical fire and once from a wildland fire. Any given summer may take it for good and me on top of a brush rig with a hose can make an effort, but won't save it.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 09:58:50 AM »

Be careful. I have visited the wild land firefighters memorial north of Twisp where 5 died in a narrow draw.It was not hard to imagine the hell they experienced. We are  at the point we need a national wild lands firefighter academy for officers and an enlisted career path of full time employment like the Coast Guard for all these firefighters. Poorly trained " pros" led the youngsters who are memorialized at Twisp into the inferno with no chance of escape. We deserve better.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 35 queries.