Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gary Green Jasper Bogwood (Larsonite) Cab  (Read 904 times)

denverkris

Gary Green Jasper Bogwood (Larsonite) Cab
« on: September 18, 2018, 01:13:29 PM »

Hi all. I'm fairly new to lapidary, I've done probably under 10 cabs. Finished this one last night. Any feedback appreciated. Particularly, any tips on getting consistent girdle height?

denverkris

Re: Gary Green Jasper Bogwood (Larsonite) Cab
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 01:14:13 PM »

Another pic.

freeformcabs

• freeformcabs by Shain Mayer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »

Looking good for number 10. I suggest look to balance the shape more using symmetry even when cutting freeform. I know people who still draw on their girdle with a sharpie and a 3-5 mm wood block. Lay the cab and wood block flat. Hold the sharpie to the side of your preform on top of the wood block. And follow along all sides of the preform with the sharpie on top of the wood block.
~Shain

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 06:16:07 PM »

Shapes like that work well with richly colored stones that are just one color.Keep the edges crisp. Practice is the key but patterened stones make it hard to appreciate freeforms as the busy pattern detracts from the shape. Have fun.

denverkris

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:26:21 PM »

Can you tell me what you mean by "crisp" edges? Like, at the points? I'm a visual learner, so a decent pic helps. I've looked at tons of pics here, but I still idk :(.

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 05:49:15 AM »

You can look at some of the cabochons pictured in the monthly cab contest to see different edges. Some people like crisp edges because it seems to show they were hand cut, which is not always true. I have been making and selling hand made cabochons for years and I prefer rolling edges with a soft look. One piece I sold last week was purchased for $60 and set in solid gold by at a custom jewelry store. So it is all just personal preference or maybe there is something I am unaware of   ???? Some people think that if a cabochon has rolled edges it was polished in a tumbler or machine made and must be of a lower quality.
    You can take a machine made cabochon and re-cut the edges in a matter of minutes. Probably a lot more possibilities other cutters can give us info about.
     This piece is handmade, picture is a bit lame.....

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 07:34:38 AM »

Take a look at this contest thread:

http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php?topic=4231.0

Stonemon's entry has some excellent pictures that show what crisp edges are.
Robin

denverkris

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 07:59:17 AM »

55fossil that's beautiful! I love it. And thanks a bunch, your reply makes a lot of sense. So, I took a look at Stonemon's entry, and while that's a lovely gem, I personally prefer a bit more doming. And btw the edges on the Gary Green one are a bit more distinct that what shows up in the picture, possibly because of the pattern? I've actually been trying a variety of "edges", I'm working on one now where like you said 55fossil, I'm trying to smooth out the edges, pic attached. This one isn't finished yet, so don't judge too harshly :p. I had to stop last night and clean and drain my machine before bed  :cheesy:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 39 queries.