Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Camel Mountain jasper cabachons  (Read 3663 times)

VegasJames

Dead Camel Mountain jasper cabachons
« on: December 06, 2018, 10:19:10 PM »

VegasJames

Re: Dead Camel Mountain jasper cabachons
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:24:06 PM »

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 07:01:37 PM »

Very interesting. I have not seen any of that rough at the few shows left in the Puget Sound region.

VegasJames

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 07:02:52 PM »

Very interesting. I have not seen any of that rough at the few shows left in the Puget Sound region.

I will back in the area soon and plan to look for some more.

Kaljaia

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 08:51:23 PM »

Pretty stuff! The lines make it look fractured. Is it pretty solid, in your experience?
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 05:38:30 AM »

They were selling a lot of it at Madras. Philly mines the original Dead Camel but there are several look alike jaspers from the same area. AND a lot of people are roaming the hills and digging on other peoples private claims as well as open ground. Philly found out about the material from a local rock shop and has been the main seller since staking his claims. ie Dead Camel and Red Falcon I think.....  If you cannot return it do not buy it is my motto.
    Fractures.. lots of them. But the material between the fractures does provide some incredible cabochons. It does take a brilliant finish. I would never buy this material without holding it in my hand. If you buy slabs on line make certain and see dry images so you can see how fractured it is.

Jhon P

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 07:31:40 AM »

I am going back out there in the spring. If the rock comes off of the dead camel claim it it dead camel jasper.  It was always called lahantonite before so I will call it that. That’s what all the locals have always called it. I live about a little over an hour from lake lahonton.

55fossil

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 06:10:21 AM »

hey Jhon...   When I say Philly mines the "Original" Dead Camel I am talking about from the area he claimed and his story about NEW Discovery...  From the Camels' mouth I was told his original find was a pile in front of a rock shop. The owner told him where all the locals dig the material.  I realize it is a large area with numerous deposits scattered throughout the hills. While there are some claims most of the area is open to public collecting as it always has been. Bring back a ton and sell me a nice piece. You know, no fractures or tiny pits and hairline fractures.....  good luck

VegasJames

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 09:48:42 PM »

Pretty stuff! The lines make it look fractured. Is it pretty solid, in your experience?

I have only cut a couple of pieces so far and the cabs are just free forms from end cuts.  So I have not worked with much of it.

VegasJames

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 09:51:32 PM »

They were selling a lot of it at Madras. Philly mines the original Dead Camel but there are several look alike jaspers from the same area. AND a lot of people are roaming the hills and digging on other peoples private claims as well as open ground. Philly found out about the material from a local rock shop and has been the main seller since staking his claims. ie Dead Camel and Red Falcon I think.....  If you cannot return it do not buy it is my motto.
    Fractures.. lots of them. But the material between the fractures does provide some incredible cabochons. It does take a brilliant finish. I would never buy this material without holding it in my hand. If you buy slabs on line make certain and see dry images so you can see how fractured it is.

Could be how it was mined. If they blasted the material out of deposits then it would likely be heavily fractured. We were collecting off the ground in an unclaimed area. The pieces I have cut so far hardly had any fractures.

VegasJames

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 10:06:51 PM »

I am going back out there in the spring. If the rock comes off of the dead camel claim it it dead camel jasper.  It was always called lahantonite before so I will call it that. That’s what all the locals have always called it. I live about a little over an hour from lake lahonton.

I have seen a lot of different names applied to the material coming from the Dead Camel Mountains including Lahontanite, Dead Camel jasper, springtime jasper, baskinite, dead ringer, fire ledge, Mescalero, red falcon, etc.

All the different names in my opinion really lead to confusion. Unless the name is trademarked I think it is best to keep the name of where it was obtained.

Kaljaia

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 03:18:54 PM »

I have heard via some very loud instagram conversations between the 'dead ringer' and 'dead camel' fans that 'Dead Camel' comes from that specific claim, and everything else comes from other claims on Dead Camel mt but with other names to differentiate whose it is.

At the end of the day it's both a pretty material and an interesting case study into the social impact of rockhound naming conventions.
- Erika

VegasJames

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 03:32:34 PM »

I have heard via some very loud instagram conversations between the 'dead ringer' and 'dead camel' fans that 'Dead Camel' comes from that specific claim, and everything else comes from other claims on Dead Camel mt but with other names to differentiate whose it is.

At the end of the day it's both a pretty material and an interesting case study into the social impact of rockhound naming conventions.

In that case since I found three different types of stone in the area all not on any claims that would mean I would have to come up with three totally new names, two for the same material found elsewhere on the mountain. That is totally ridiculous.

Kaljaia

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »

In that case since I found three different types of stone in the area all not on any claims that would mean I would have to come up with three totally new names, two for the same material found elsewhere on the mountain. That is totally ridiculous.

Personally I'm a fan of ridiculously specific different names because they give a better understanding of the material's origin spot than broad locale names. Had a lot of years to stew over the problem of "but where in the hundred-plus-square-mile area by that name did this specific rock come from?" Back to the DC jasper, from the tone of the conversation it seemed to impact perception of who had rights to what material more than who had rights to give things new names, and trickled down into marketing strategy. I can't say who was wrong/right in all that, just that it was observed, and I found it interesting. How big of a geographic area is Dead Camel?
- Erika

55fossil

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 04:47:00 PM »

Names...  arrrgh.   Cases in point, Graveyard Point plume agate. Morrisonite as well. Many miners, myself included, used the name of their claim for the Plume Agate they dug at Graveyard Point. Several reasons. Too damn much crappy agate was mined and sold under the name GPP agate. Others simply wanted to scream "new discovery" even though every hill out there has been dug on for 50 years.
   Morrisonite is just the opposite. Anything that looks like Morrisonite and came from that area was sold as Morrisonite to draw more money. Owyhee Picture jasper from the Original claim was beautiful. Now, too many people use the damn name on any piece of crap from the Owyhee Mountain region to get hits on the internet.
   Philly did a great job marketing Dead Camel. What great tales....   Now it is far more recognized than the original jaspers from that area.
Human Nature can be .......  be careful out there.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 53 queries.