Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hobby or Job?  (Read 5482 times)

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
Re: Hobby or Job?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 06:33:15 AM »

Ha!  They do light up the room, on or off.  And thanks very much, Vince, that lamp is on my bedside table!  Now I will lay awake all night wondering what might be peeping out!!!    :spanker:

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 07:56:55 AM »

:LOLOL: Vince... Peek a Boo...

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 02:25:37 PM »

:icon_jokercolor:  Ohhhhhhhh...  This is a story that I just NEVER get to tell, and it will almost fit here, I just HAVE to!!!    :WEEEE:

So, years ago we (hubby and I) were visiting my parents.   Late at night (2am) I hear from hubby "SNORT, SNORT, SNORT!".    Of course I wake him up to ask him what in the world are you doing?????     Well, he was dreaming!   

"I was a wood elf, and me and my buddy were hiding in a big tree trunk!  We were hiding from the forest creatures who were trying to eat us.   There were these old ladies with their purses, and they were trying to see what we were!  (tThe ladies were going to give our position away.)  Well, I did not want any of the woodlands creatures to find us, or those scary ladies, so I opened up my eyes REAL wide, so they would see the eyes and think we must be really big scary creatures there, in that hollowed out tree trunk.   But the old ladies with their purses (and I'm thinking, say what???) did not stop looking in the tree!   So I snorted at them!   That would work!   (Well, dear Carol woke up to hear my sweet hubby going "snort, snort, snort" at the top of his lungs!  At 2am!!!!!   You can bet I woke him up!!!)  "   End dream!   So then hubby explained what the dream was, and we were laughing uproarously when I hear Dad "ok, young 'uns, stop that!!!".   And Vince, that is what is going to be looking out from that lamp at me!!!!  :WEEEE:

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 03:06:15 PM »

LOLOLOL :)

Bentiron

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 03:43:25 PM »

Beautiful work!! Those lamps are beautiful! You do very nice work for it being a "hobby" job :headbang:

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 07:25:33 PM »

the craftsmanship on these, the layouts and everything is just killer.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 07:47:50 PM »

Tooooo funny! Well, I'm glad to hear it will be a friendly wood elf behind those big ol' eyes.

That lamp really does have more depth - even in a photo - than I can remember seeing anywhere. That is true artistry.

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 06:21:08 AM »

Interesting that you could pick up the depth from a picture.  When a Tiffany reproduction is put out, depending on the company, if Tiffany's original was 3 dimensional, the company may make a 3 dimensional form as well.  In this case, this form is only available as 3 dimensional (as far as I know, at least back then).  So many of the leaves actually bend at the vein, or many of the leaves partially overlay another leaf.  And the framework at the top is a very heavy 3D cast construct.  Certainly the most accurate form of reproduction.  The glass choices, cutting, fitting, etc. are left up to the artist. 

Very few Tiffany style lamps are made without patterns.  I have made two, one was a reproduction I designed of a Tiffany bat lamp, the other was of flowers for a hurricane lamp.  I have been "working" on a patterned lamp, Tiffany repro, for over a decade but quit when I lost interest.  It has almost 2000 pieces and I just got TIRED of it!   :sad5:  it has been so long now, I am not even sure if the copper foil would solder any more because of years of oxidation.   :sad5: :sad5:  it is 3d also...

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »

Just found this thread- I have always wanted to try stained glass.  One of those bucket list things...  Along with Mosaic art, metal etching, metal clay (used for soldering does not count) etc. etc. etc.

Really beautiful work you have shown us here, you are remarkably talented.

As for the title, it's only a job after you start feeling pressured to do it every day for 8 hours a day.  :P

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »

Oh my!!  In that case it has never, ever been a job, and never will be!   :icon_flower:  I could never stand stooped forward for that long at one time.  And thank you.  It is a lot of fun, and can be very challenging.  I would recommend it! 

crashoveroide

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 02:15:10 AM »

Nice Work iceopals..!

edgarscale

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 05:22:57 AM »

beautiful, just beautiful.

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Windenzee

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 11:52:08 PM »

Lovely to hear that your son was able to achieve the level he has.
My daughter has athetoid cerebral palsy affecting her whole body, including speech, but not her intellect. 24 hour care and so I have very little time on my hands.
My arts and crafts often pull me through the hard time. And yes I do have several that I try and work at.
Love the stained glass work. It is on my agenda to do but using some of my daughters drawings (on her computer) Just need her to get a bit healthier and have a friend come and teach me how to use my kiln.

edgarscale

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 03:41:46 PM »

Lovely to hear that your son was able to achieve the level he has.
My daughter has athetoid cerebral palsy affecting her whole body, including speech, but not her intellect. 24 hour care and so I have very little time on my hands.
My arts and crafts often pull me through the hard time. And yes I do have several that I try and work at.
Love the stained glass work. It is on my agenda to do but using some of my daughters drawings (on her computer) Just need her to get a bit healthier and have a friend come and teach me how to use my kiln.

we are here to support you.  my one grandson has autism and another grandson a rare form of epilepsy...douse syndrome where he has multiply types of seizures...what type of kiln do you have?  i bought mine this past summer and have not had time to use it. 

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Windenzee

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 11:59:07 PM »

I bought a Prometheus Mini Kiln to use with silver clay etc but can see it would work for small stain glass projects as well.
Unfortunately when I was in Holland (my teen years) I was given the opportunity to learn how to do stain glass windows but being a rebellious teen, did not take up the offer. Did learn to do plate etchings though.
It seems disabilities run in families as my eldest grandson is ADHD.
Thank you for the support. Hopefully I will end up with some time soon to get back to the arts and will post some pieces again
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 53 queries.