Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DP Genie Wheels  (Read 2835 times)

TTdivine

DP Genie Wheels
« on: July 05, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »

Hello All:

I recently purchased a DP Genie in excellent shape.  However, a couple of the wheels are past their prime and for some reason, the previous owner saw fit to replace the 3000 grit wheel with a 14,000.  (I'm as baffled as you are!)  So, short of going to DP directly, who has the best price on new or very gently pre-loved Nova wheels?  Thanks !

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: DP Genie Wheels
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 07:58:55 PM »

Some of us use " JS Gems " as I have for a few years and am very happy with the service and service quality is increasingly  a problem in lapidary equipment sales.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 08:46:09 PM »

Hello All:

I recently purchased a DP Genie in excellent shape.  However, a couple of the wheels are past their prime and for some reason, the previous owner saw fit to replace the 3000 grit wheel with a 14,000.  (I'm as baffled as you are!)  So, short of going to DP directly, who has the best price on new or very gently pre-loved Nova wheels?  Thanks !

No need to be baffled.  Your machine must be an older one like mine.  The original Nova configuration on the Genie was 280/600/1200/14,000.  I've used mine that way for years and get great polishes.  It just takes a little getting used to.  A lot depends on the kind of materials you're cutting and your own technique.   

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 09:57:20 PM »

Johnson Brothers Lapidary does Nova wheel resurfacing.  I can't say much about their service since the only time I used them I ordered 5 blades and paid expedited shipping and it took 5 phone calls and a month to get them, not so much as an apology or refund for the (Fast) shipping method.

http://www.johnsonbrotherslapidary.com/ReSurfacing_Diamond_Wheels.html

johnjsgems

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:09:51 AM »

Somewhere around 2000 they changed from 14K to 3K on end.  They included a canvas pad with 14K diamond (now a 14K spin on Nova Disc).  Most people find the jump from 1200 to 14K was too much.  3K is a pre polish but really close to polish on many stones so final polish is fast.  Still some that like the 14K.   

Allen

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »

The worn nova's can be re-coated.

The old forum has an extensive thread on the subject and can be accessed by the Old Board Archive.

I have been at it a number of years now and have coated at least 50 for my club, self and friends. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 38 queries.