Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Etsy and toxics  (Read 1066 times)

Stonemon

Etsy and toxics
« on: November 13, 2019, 08:38:21 PM »

Recently I got a note from the folks at Etsy that they had de-listed all of my Trent agate cabs and collector pieces because they were considered to be poisonous. It is a bit of a slap as the Trent has been an anchor for me over the last 5 years and they are still letting others sell the material. After several communications, it is clear they will not budge on their stance.
Today I had a communication from another customer/fellow seller in Australia that they had sent her the same notice.
Makes me wonder about Tiffany, Bumblebee and a dozen others. The seemingly random evolution of these platforms is daunting.
Thinking I may have to set up an independent website.
Thoughts?

Bill

rocks2dust

Re: Etsy and toxics
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 12:02:43 AM »

I've had a couple of similar run-ins on o-bey - and they also refused to back down. Wouldn't even consider how ridiculous their policy was regarding the items I was trying to sell. One was a piece from a country that had been embargoed in the past - the item wasn't on the embargo list and wasn't illegal to sell, as I'd had owned it since long before the temporary embargo. The other was a piece of California fossil whale bone - not a CITES item at all and not a part of any modern whale species. Seemed to go in one ear and out the other, and they just said if I attempted to relist it, my account would be pulled and I would be permanently banned from o-bey. As in your case, there were plenty of others selling the exact same things; big sellers seem to get free rein on their site.

They and their managers obviously have zero knowledge apart from their computer scripts. The minerals which make Trent so pretty are bound up in silica, and it isn't poisonous - even if one could manage to swallow a cobble or slab, it'd just pass through. I thought etsy was a CRAFT site? Do they not know that oil, acrylic and other paints contain things like cadmium, chromium, and other "toxic" substances? Do they not know what is in ink? What about that vanadium in those Zambian emeralds? Or the copper in all those copper and sterling findings? I can see a policy which requires warning labels for liability purposes, but banning stuff just because toxic materials are part of its makeup is ridiculous and hypocritical: in that case, etsy shouldn't be selling much of anything.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 02:11:10 PM »

Malachite, Azurite, Chrysocolla, Cuprite, Covellite, Turquoise, Dioptase

Silicate life form

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 06:08:29 PM »

In response to the Petrified Whale bone example; since collecting vertebrate fossils is legal on private property, depending on where it was collected, there is nothing illegal about selling or purchasing these items.  Yeah it sounds like they want to open pandora's box JUST A LITTLE to peek in.  Where would it stop?  Small beads being choking hazards for children so unless your listing has a warning label that the beads should not be swallowed?  LOL  I am of the firm belief that this country has slipped over a cliff with political correctness and lawsuits.  You can't even have any self held beliefs any more of what is right or wrong, someone will decide that for you. just crazy.   .

I think the issue with Ebay is sort of like the Ivory ban.  Fossil Ivory got thrown in there with it and banned even though no Mammoth was killed for the fossil Ivory artists used.  Of course the Ivory ban doesn't apply to native americans (part of their heritage)

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 02:23:42 AM »

My right foot  will never forgive hands, For the rock bombs drops.

Whose the hazard now?
Silicate life form
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.