Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Slab Grabber  (Read 17271 times)

drnihili

Slab Grabber
« on: February 03, 2015, 06:49:48 PM »

While the rock vise on my on Frantom saw works well enough, I'm noticing that it would be nice to have an option that doesn't require having so much of the rock in the vice.  There seem to be two basic ideas for something that would grab onto the edges of a cut face.  One of them uses four screws to catch the edges, the other uses opposing slots.  I'm leaning towards the 4 screw version, but thought I would solicit advice. 

What do you like for grabbing slabs?

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
Re: Slab Grabber
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:45:23 PM »

I have really good luck with mine that has four screws. I use a dremel to grind small notches for the screws to set into if necessary. The screws can be set out different lengths to reach odd shaped rocks. On the even rocks I take off the top cross bar and just use three screws.

The ones with the wide jaws look to me like they would only be good on a few rocks that are shaped flat on the side you want to clamp. I have not used one so that is just a guess.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

drnihili

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 05:54:30 AM »

That was my thinking too, Jim, though I hadn't come up with the idea of dremeling notches. 

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »

This is from a friend of mine who made his own slabber grabber.....
I made my grabber from two pieces of 2" wide 1/4" thick cold rolled steel. I used a milling machine to make the "teeth" in he end of the pieces. The rest is two 6"  1/2-13 bolts. On the gripping end the nut is on the top of the movable piece nearest to the rock. The other end is under the movable piece. This method allows the jaw to clamp the rock and be tightened with the leverage of the movable piece. It gets a tremendous grip with this leverage. I use a dry diamond blade mounted in a chuck to notch the rock with two parallel grooves. These grooves can be done on any side of a rock at any location so you can orient the rock to best utilize the best pattern. You are not obligated to fuss with sawing a flat face to glue onto a board or such. Usually when you try to cut a flat face it can only be done depending on how you can grip the rock in the saw clamps not necessarily for the best orientation. I can notch any rock in about 30 seconds and it takes about as long to mount the rock in the grabber and then a few seconds to mount the gripper in the saw. Much less time than it takes to cut a flat face, find an non-oily board, glue it on and let the glue set up well enough to hold the rock.

drnihili

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 10:38:09 AM »

Good point about not needing a flat face with that style, Sara.  It looks easy enough to fab.  While I don't have access to a milling machine, I bet I could get a good enough groove with the corner of a grinding wheel, or is the precision really that critical in this applications?

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 04:48:57 PM »

I am not sure as I have not made one. I would think you could make enough of a groove to "grab" the rock.
Have to wait for the ones that know to sign in:)

Minkos61

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 05:18:21 PM »

Here is one that I built ! It works really well!

:coffee2:
Ernie

Rockoteer

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »

I have a 'factory' made one (4 ss screws) that works superb.  I also have some stock that has lots of threaded holes and I will be making one out of that.

jakesrocks

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 01:53:35 PM »

If you can find one of these, they are excellent slab grabbers. Made up until the early 80's, they show up for sale from time to time.

A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

phrankhansen

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 02:42:51 PM »

What are they called so I can search ebay, etc.?

thanks,

jakesrocks

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »

Do ya one better. Here's the back side with the info. (Bills Rock Shop has long been out of business). W.C. Antoine Slab Grabber.

A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

phrankhansen

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 07:40:01 PM »

thanks

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 08:28:19 PM »

Texas Rocks also made one similar to the one made for Bill's rock shop.

I used to have some made for me that were similar to the bar style but I have sold out of them and cant find another machine shop to make more for me at a reasonable cost. One of these days I might find someone to make them again.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

Rockoteer

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2016, 03:27:47 PM »

I am not sure as I have not made one. I would think you could make enough of a groove to "grab" the rock.
Have to wait for the ones that know to sign in:)

SOS .. you're back.  How you been?  Haven't heard from you in a coon's age.
TOG

Rockoteer

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 06:02:22 PM »

Here is mine.  Two different ways of mounting it.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 55 queries.