Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fair Entry Collection  (Read 1567 times)

Kaljaia

Fair Entry Collection
« on: July 26, 2019, 02:25:14 PM »

I had fun putting this together! Will get a better picture once it's back home in a couple days. Got a whole blue ribbon on it.

Not that there was a ton of competition... one person entered a single rock in another category, and that was the extent of the rock entries this year!
But still, I think it's neat and was a fun use for end cuts and other bits. Everything's in there on magnets, so afterwards I can swap stuff out and stick this year's specimens on the fridge.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Sapphireminer

Re: Fair Entry Collection
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 02:51:50 AM »

Very nice display Erica and congratulations on your win.     Dave

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 10:11:53 AM »

Nice display. In my county you can only enter the fair competition if you are  a member of a certain rock club. When I moved here that club asked me to do a carving demonstation. When I arrived on time  a fifth had been polished off and two more were about to die. Doing a demo for drunks is no fun  and I decided that I could do without the club and fair competition. One has to wonder just how much cutting and collecting is really going on as your experience seems pretty normal. Lots of folks with the equipment but not the drive perhaps and I suspect that many with the drive can't afford the equipment. Maybe we need a section on how to do more with less as I did for 30 years .

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 06:23:27 PM »

Beautiful display!
I love the case too, A whole wall displaying the rocks would be cool!

Kaljaia

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 08:01:12 AM »

Thanks! It's a shot-glass case I bought off Amazon, they aren't too expensive and make a good sturdy display already meant to be hung and hold weight.

And Yeah, I think I'd protest if the fair here locked down competition to a single club. We are in that awkward spot of all the material in the world right outside, but a fairly small, low-income working town of five thousand people, so there just isn't a huge population of people with the interest, time and resources. Everyone who retires and sets up shop does so in Redmond, the next town down the highway, but I'm two counties away and can't compete in their fair. I haven't been to the Wasco fair, as it's a five-hour round trip. Madras is only a two-hour round trip :P and lets all the neighboring counties compete because their population is so low.

I'm surprised no one's doing t-egg collections though. There's a few local folks who collect and sell commercially out of their garages, and I'd think a display of what they can offer at fair would be a decent bit of free marketing.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 12:04:45 PM »

Really nice display and that is a very clean case as well.  Most of the club cases get progressively banged up, and start looking a bit shabby for competitions.  Also like your magnet idea.

Kudo's on the blue ribbon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 37 queries.