Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outrageous Cab Contest February 2017  (Read 6431 times)

wheatguy

Re: Outrageous Cab Contest February 2017
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 07:43:43 AM »

Here's a heart cab I did for my girlfriend's daughter for Valentines Day.  I forgot to take any pictures while I was making it though  :Bash:
It is red jasper that I collected in Wyoming last summer.  I'm trying to improve my photography skills as well!
Cheers!
John
-John

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 08:32:46 AM »

Love the strong colour, and very nice workmanship too.
Anything not given, is lost.

melhill1659

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 07:10:10 PM »

Hi all

I have 2 more pic's. I am not happy with either of them. I am sure that you agree my pic's skills are very bad. I hate it that I cant show what I see. I will try to get a "good" pic.

I do think that this will be my last entry until I learn to take better pics

Bless
Shawn
I can see it. I think it's beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orrum

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 06:45:04 AM »

I like that red hart!!!

womanwithatorch

• womanwithatorch.com
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 01:34:33 PM »

Another heart, unknown agate material, unfortunately full of vugs but still very nice color for a valentine.  Any id help or suggestions regarding vugs welcome! Thanks for looking.
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I might learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso

Back

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 01:19:22 PM »

Hi All

I know that the contest is over. I have been working real hard on my pic skills so this is a test

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »

Better.  Did you crop you photos?  You just need to make sure your picture is really focused.  If you're taking the picture too close to the stone, it may not be in good focus.  Try taking it a little farther away and then crop the large sized picture down.  The stone in your picture will be larger and more in focus that way.
Robin

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 12:31:52 PM »

A tip is that if you are shooting with a camera that has a "macro" mode it has notoriously short depth of field meaning that the "in focus" zone on a cab taken at an angle can be as small as a 1/4" in focus and either side of that will be out of focus.  If shooting macro shoot straight down onto the top of you cab to cure this.  Otherwise do as Hummingbird stones said and shoot farther away and crop, either of these will give you an enhanced picture.

Back

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 01:28:18 PM »

Hi All

Thanks for the input. I finally figured out that the photo editing program I was learning slipped in an update that renamed things :Bash: Now I have to save to 2 files The new one that I just found is "save for web" :dontknow: Both pics above were cropped and resized.

Distance

Yea I need to figure that out. I am using the "close up" function on my camera. The manual for my camera is on line only and over 120 pages. Looks like I got more work to do.

Thanks for your replies
I am motivated again to look for something to cut for the next contest. Weather is warming up so soon I can use my saw :cool: I dont have much in house that I can work with on a trim saw. I do have some rough from some very cool members that I cant wait to slab :thumbsup:

Thanks again
Bless
Shawn

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »

I suggest taking your camera off of close up mode and just take regular pictures.  Ignore the save for web photo.  Use the normal photo and in your editing program, crop the photo.  Then, in your editing program resize your cropped picture to around 800 x 600 pixels.  The web photo will most likely be saved with lower pixels, so if you crop it it will be more degraded and fuzzy.

When you crop the regular picture it will decrease the size of photo and resizing will do the same thing, with no degradation of the picture quality.
Robin

Talusman

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2017, 04:50:18 PM »

Woman with a torch... your material is confetti agate from Chihuahua Mexico. It's a classic lapidary material related to bird of paradise agate (some intergrades exist). It's a beautiful material - the little drusy vugs add sparkle if you're not worried about some character in your cabs. One of my favorites!

-Jeremy

womanwithatorch

• womanwithatorch.com
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 09:29:21 AM »

Talusman - Thank you!!!
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I might learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 09:08:25 PM »

Hi all

The pic below shows something that I wanted to save after all the breakage. It shows a plate of blue. I do think this stone is related to labrderite.

It stills needs work but I have over a week to finish it.

Bless
Shawn

Looks like Larvikite to me.....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 51 queries.