Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vintage Rock Saw Acquired- Advice would be appreciated!  (Read 12102 times)

Back

Re: Vintage Rock Saw Acquired- Advice would be appreciated!
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2016, 01:48:37 PM »

Hi All

Happy dance all around :WEEEE: :occasion14: :notworthy: :icon_sunny: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:
I could go on. Got the saw today and it is almost unused. It still has the origional blade and the pump works. It is missing the belt guard and the tubing that goes from the pump to the blade. That is all. I will go in the morning and get some tubing and some oil and it should be alive. I might clean it some. I took some Pic.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2016, 06:50:30 PM »

Good for you! Looks like another one of the Teel pumps there. Should be an additional plate for the bottom so you can use it like any ol' trim saw, and a sheet metal spray shield for the front. Even if you didn't get those you got a great saw there.

Did you mention what you had to pay for it? Don't have to tell if you don't want to, but if you find another one like that for any reasonable price snap it up!

Back

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »

Hi All

The good and the bad. First it was free and the pump worked. Also it had a blade. I am also glad that I did not try it in my shop. I took it to the other side for testing because I wondered if it would mist in my shop. That was good. I used compressed air to blow the dust off. Still good.

The bad :Bash: I bought 3 gal of mineral oil this morning and now most of it is soaking into the ground and I have a big mess. I put 1/2 gal. in it to test for leaks. After 30 min no leak and added the rest. Still no problem. Installed the pump and new tubing. Now it gets bad.

I started it up and the pump would not pump and it started leaking very bad. By the time I shut it down and figured out what the problem was I had lost most of the oil.

OK so there is a factory drain where the pump sets that is not showed in the manual so be looking for that if you get 1 of these saws.
Now I have to get a cap for the drain hole and try again. What a good thing and what a bummer. I must have 1 of the newest model.

Bless
Shawn

Jhon P

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2016, 12:04:53 PM »

:LOLOL: If I get another saw I will remember you and put water in it to see if it leaks.
I can never find any free equipment. I must not have the right friends. At least they give me a rock sometimes.

Kaljaia

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 09:24:25 PM »

IT LIVES.
It works quite well.

I shelled out for a really good utility cart for it to live on, because non-permanent location and all. Perfect dimensions. Got it all put together, got the saw put together, got the mineral oil in it, all the pieces and screws cleaned and tight and fired it up! By that time the sun had set so I only got one little end bit knocked off a piece of purple jasper but the saw went through it like (comparatively) butter. The blade is old and a little warped but that didn't stop it from cutting. Pump works fine and moves the oil on through its tubes to both sides of the blade. Loud, but very little mess. I was prepared for trim-saw-level-oil-in-my-face but it was really not that bad. I may also not have enough oil in it, so need to check on that (has two gallons right now.)

Anyway I am pleased and will be very busy for a few evenings to come!
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2016, 07:08:02 AM »

Woohoo! Happy to see that.

Back

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2016, 09:42:12 AM »

Hi All

So happy to hear that your saw is up and running :occasion14:

Sorry to say my saw is not. I got the drain problem fixed and fired it up. Now the impeller has fallen of the pump :angry:

I am getting ready to take it apart to see if I can fix it if not then I have to think of plan "B"

Again congrats on your saw and I will keep you updated on mine.

Bless
Shawn

Back

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2016, 10:41:45 AM »

Hi All

The pump is useless. Either it is a very bad design or some tried to make it work. Either way I am off to find an evaporative cooling pump. I already have a drain hole so the rest should be simple. Not so simple they are rated at 1 ft head height. Does that mean that they wont pump if the head height is 3 ft or is it just slower?

Bless
Shawn

Kaljaia

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2016, 12:57:31 PM »

Shawn,
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble! Mine is basically a standard swamp cooler pump, so whatever goes in those these days should (theoretically) work. I have heard others talk of replacing their pumps with ones from Home Depot.
- Erika

Kaljaia

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2016, 08:16:55 PM »

-.- reasonably certain I tanked whatever edge was left on that blade in cutting an extremely hard, fine-grain shiny black river rock. It went through the soft, somewhat porous river pet wood nicely though and I have a few small slabs of purple jasp-agate now! Pictures tomorrow when daylight.
- Erika

Back

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 01:30:34 PM »

Hi All

It is alive :icon_cheers: I got my pump in and with some rigging I was able to reduce the pump output down to 1/4 in. The bad is the blade is bent and there is a "bad" spot on it that causes it to jump. But what the heck it still will cut a slab and fast at that :occasion14:

Pic is of the new pump and the Rigging to make it work and it fits in the space where the origional pump went.

Bless
Shawn

Kaljaia

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2016, 05:18:16 PM »

Glad to hear it's working and looking forward to seeing what you cut!
- Erika

Picture Rocks

Chris
I like petrified wood in wood furniture.
Picture Jaspers are my favourite.
You Always Get to Where You are Going!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 51 queries.