Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some surface-ground azurite/malachite/chrysocolla  (Read 1584 times)

MineralSpirit

Some surface-ground azurite/malachite/chrysocolla
« on: April 26, 2020, 06:34:04 PM »

My first time using images on this board, so let's hope this works ok. I imagine this fits here as much as anywhere. Not really carvings, but not rough or slabs either.

These are a couple of partially finished freeform pieces of azurite with malachite and chrysocolla. I've taken these up to 600 grit so far, and still obviously have some issues with flat after due to the relative softness of the stone.

About five years ago, I bought a good deal of this material which is some of the nicest azurite I've seen produced in the last 30-40 years.

This stone typically forms with a black coating of tenorite, and grinding down through that layer exposes the more colorful stone beneath. Chrysocolla is only occasionally present in this material, but where it is, it's usually just below the tenorite. All these minerals usually form around a highly brecciated brownish host rock.

I apologize for the ugly dried splotches of CA glue. The largest patches of tenorite have a tendency to flake, so I'm hoping to keep that to a minimum as I move up to finer grits

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Some surface-ground azurite/malachite/chrysocolla
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 07:42:18 PM »

Woot!  Absolutely gorgeous stuff!  (And now I know who you are!)   :WEEEE:
Robin

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 07:46:19 PM »

Wahoo! What amazing color and pattern.

Closest thing we've ever had is some Chilean stuff sold to us by a guy who went on the lam not long after that.

MineralSpirit

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 08:11:04 PM »

:icon_thumright:

Some rocks are just hard to forget!

Felicia

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 08:19:44 PM »

Such colors!

ileney

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 10:22:28 AM »

Wow! That is stunning stuff! Can you possibly post a picture pf what it looks like raw, before revealing the colors? I've seen plenty of chrysocolla, azurite and malachite and even combinations of those things but I don't think I've seen this particular  material before.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 02:00:42 PM »

The colors are just wow!

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 09:21:49 PM »

So tasty looking.  Nothing like the rich colors of Copper materials!

MineralSpirit

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 09:20:30 PM »

Can you possibly post a picture pf what it looks like raw, before revealing the colors?

Here are a few more photos, the first showing the outside with black tenorite crust and the second showing the same piece cut open.

I didn't think to take more photos showing the original pieces in their rough state, but I've included one photo part way through the grinding process so you can get a feel for the process.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 09:38:37 PM »

So sweet.  Something about the blue!  I was exploring an old mine tunnel (very short- maybe 30ft) and there was an opening in the wall where 3 separate mega boulders (bigger than VW's) all came together is was a triangular opening maybe 18" on each side on the wall at the floor.  It looked innocuous.  I got down on my knees and put my flashlight inside.  OMG it was a larger cavity inside the opening.  It was all Azurite, Chrysocolla mix and just like your pieces - the COLOR.  I told my rockhound buddy to check it out and he looked inside and all the hairs on his arms stood up.  Copper is a superfood for rockhounds. 

MineralSpirit

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 05:21:39 AM »

I agree, our rock world would be a lot poorer were it not for the fantastic blues and greens of the copper minerals. I'll try to share some photos of my agatized copper minerals in a separate post.

One interesting thing one observed in this material: the chrysocolla, when it occurs, seems to blend into the azurite, but NEVER blends with the malachite. I understand that both azurite and malachite are copper carbonates, but azurite clearly plays nicely with chrysocolla (hydrous copper silicate), while malachite doesn't.

I cant explain the chemistry behind this. Are there any savants in here that would hazard a guess?

ileney

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 10:17:46 PM »

I'm afraid I don't know the answer but thank you so much for posting the pictures that show the crust. That's very impressive.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 07:33:00 AM »

Copper minerals are my achilles heel.  Those are beautiful and make me happy just looking at them.

I think irockhound said it best.  Copper is a superfood for rockhounds.   :icon_sunny:
Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 51 queries.