Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: That's all folk, wait for the lavender jade.  (Read 1170 times)

Tim

That's all folk, wait for the lavender jade.
« on: April 22, 2021, 09:50:47 AM »

Flying Shaman.  Astral planing on mushrooms. :icon_rr:
shaman.jpg
*shaman.jpg (186.81 kB . 600x578 - viewed 214 times)shaman1.jpg
*shaman1.jpg (186.97 kB . 600x519 - viewed 254 times)

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: That's all folk, wait for the lavender jade.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 04:42:53 AM »

I love them all. Keep up the good work and you are right not everything needs a mirror polish.  Skeletons are not my thing, even tho I live in New Mexico with it's day of the dead art, but all of your figures have great appeal. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 06:42:29 AM »

Thank you for sharing, those are all very interesting. It'd be nice to learn more about the tools you're using, and how you use them.

Tim

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 09:49:00 AM »

Thank you both for such encouraging comments.  I really appreciate it, especially saying they have appeal, we all want to hear words like that.  Working on this scale is new to me.  I have been carving large pieces of granite and other hard stones for a few years now , with angle grinders and traditional stone masons tools. I will show some examples.  There is a cross over but small scale work ie lapidary is different.  I use quite basic tools.  I have looked all over the net at lapidary tools but they are all far way out of my budget in cost.  I find polishing most difficult with small scale work.  On large work you can get many flexible diamonds discs down to 6000 and away you go.  Hopefully tomorrow when I have time I will show the tools I use most but I'm sure you use the same or even better so it could be interesting. 

Tim

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 02:20:35 AM »

Here are the tools I use.  I also use a diamond tile saw or large angle grinder to get a piece of stone off the host rock to start the work.  Then it is what you see.  70mm Bosch mini grinder, runs very fast, keep your fingers  clear :thumbsup:.  Bosch, Dremel tool {Bosch own Dremel   :idea1:} batteries fit the grinder too.  The most useful grinder is the Proxxon 50mm grinder fitted with a 50mm Arbotech diamond blade that really cuts but has a 2mm kerf. The long neck gives the ability to almost draw with it. The Proxxon 50mm blade is a thin electro plated thing that is not as aggressive but still useful to have in the tool box for surface smoothing.  Then the world conquering Chinese diamond burs, 2 sets of cheap electro plated ones and a set of more expensive sintered burs which are great.  Some tiny dental burs which I think are also sintered but not sure.  Files of various grit, needle files, polishing pads and a bowl of water to dip the stone in.   :coffee1:

tools1a.jpg
*tools1a.jpg (417.93 kB . 1000x698 - viewed 227 times)

Tim

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 02:54:46 AM »

Just a peep at some large pieces of Sodalite.  I do not want to stray from lapidary
.big1.jpg
*big1.jpg (305.77 kB . 1000x720 - viewed 183 times)

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 09:24:27 PM »

I hope there is also a respirator or at least a well-fitting N95 mask that you replace regularly. Also keep your work area clean - even if water traps most of the dust, eventually the droplets and spills evaporate, and this dry dust can still be re-introduced into air.

I know you were working on large granite projects for years, so maybe you are aware of the risks and how to mitigate - but it never hurts to remind people that lapidary arts must be practiced in a safe manner.

Tim

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 02:36:57 AM »

You are absolutely right I pull me up on that.  Always work with a good mask.  :icon_salut:

mask.jpg
*mask.jpg (158.33 kB . 992x637 - viewed 171 times)

Windenzee

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 11:43:58 PM »

Hi Tim,
Love your work.
Where in the UK are you based.
Karen

Tim

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 04:20:58 AM »

Thank you Karen that is most kind of you.  What a boost many thanks.  I live is a town called Aldershot in the south of England.

Windenzee

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 11:44:41 PM »

Hi Tim,
I am based in Crawley, West Sussex.
If you are ever this way drop me a line and I can show you my set up in my little shed. I work many in the summer asit is too cold winter time and it all depends on my other commitments as to how much time I get.
Where do you source your lavender jade from?
Karen

Tim

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 09:03:08 AM »

Hi Karen,

I have a little shed that I started carving in, but as I got more tools, hammers, and other chisels for larger indoor sculpture it started to get a little small.  So I work outside weather permitting, for large pieces, on some gravel hard standing for the car at the back of the house.  Then of course more things were being stored so now it is just a store.  I have been carving these small pieces of stone on a small garden table as long as it is dry and not too cold.
  I really do not know much about jade and could not find any in the UK.  The jade I have been carving I have bought in slab form through ebay coming from the USA sourced from Guatemala.  It is not what real aficionados or the Chinese want, the main reason I can afford even with import charges.  I have seen jade on ebay being sold from China even in pebble form with a polished window but felt very unsure about buying any.  Perhaps others might have done so and please tell me about it.
  As the jade of pre-Columbian Americas was my inspiration,tab3.jpg
*tab3.jpg (326.19 kB . 800x751 - viewed 145 times) the fact that it is Guatemalan was a bonus for me.  I think the mottled lavender is absolutely lovely stuff with a beautiful colour and silky smooth in the hand.  I prefer it over green and the more expensive blue green.  It is a funny thing the values put on some art and other objects.  The people with the money drive the market and set the ideas as to what is perceived as the best or most desirable but what if their taste is questionable?  I do not know about stones and jade but I think Saatchi is a good example of money becoming the abettor and elevator of questionable taste and aesthetics.   

Windenzee

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 12:01:52 PM »

Hi Tim,
Thank you for your reply. I will be looking into the Guatemalan Jade.
I have worked both black Jade and Nephrite Jade.  I also have several other stones. Not all worked.
My first carvings were done in black coral while I was living on the British Virgin Islands. Branched out a bit since. It has remained a hobby for me, a release from my caring role at home.
If you wish to meet up at some point email me
Karen
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 52 queries.