Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aussie jade stone fish  (Read 540 times)

auscarver

Aussie jade stone fish
« on: December 10, 2021, 06:36:17 PM »

My latest carving in progress, and my biggest ever carving, 175mm long X 135 high, this could take easily another 2 months to complete.received_290612272993725.jpeg
*received_290612272993725.jpeg (294.16 kB . 2048x1536 - viewed 133 times)

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Aussie jade stone fish
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 07:04:02 PM »

I cannot wait to see this finished!  It's gorgeous already!   :headbang:

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 10:00:20 PM »

Another killer project.  I keep wanting to make a pun about being hooked on carving.  Seriously your work is always amazing and can't wait to see it progress.

auscarver

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 11:31:43 PM »

Thanks for the great comments Amanda and Steve. I like showing my carvings here, a very friendly place.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 08:52:45 AM »

Very nice stone  as well. Enjoy summer.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 08:08:54 AM »

G'day, auscarver - we always like seeing your work here. Always pro carving skills AND top-shelf material.

Is this jade from Cowell? We're not "jade people", so I had to look up Australian jade to see some photos. Read that there are other deposits elsewhere, but the largest are from the Cowell area.

auscarver

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 01:06:03 AM »

Thanks again for the awesome comments. This nephrite jade is from the Tamworth region NSW, from where I live, most of my jade is self collected but this jade was given to me by a friend that owns a jade mine, Cowell in South Australia produces a very good black jade, there greens are more olive green than Tamworth, the best Tamworth greens are much like Marsdan jade from New Zealand.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 04:25:04 PM »

Ah, what fun it is to see something besides opal from NSW...! Saw references to the jade you have during my search.

As you've probably noticed, Robin and I limited ourselves a bit in our early collecting (online) of Aussie materials. We only have heaps of potch from your area. Roughly speaking, as Lightning Ridge is over 350 km down the track from you, right?

Heh - the avatar photo you see here came from Lightning Ridge. Bought it as a small rub that somehow survived me working on it.

We don't cut much jade, or I'd be tempted to try to acquire a bit. You are obviously able to produce great pieces with it.

R.U. Sirius

• asleep at the grinding wheel
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 09:18:31 PM »

I love the subtle Mona Lisa smile of this fish... definitely not a generic-looking "face" of the creature,  but something with character.  The material looks very promising... I am looking forward to seeing this work finished!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 41 queries.