Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazonite cabochons  (Read 289 times)

55fossil

Amazonite cabochons
« on: March 24, 2023, 09:39:05 AM »

I bought a big chunk of Amazonite out of a guys front yard last year, maybe 40 pounds. It has the flashy sparkle in some areas and a section at the bottom that has more like a quartz look. The bottom area is a soft green and also has some white quartz in it. No sparkle and translucent.  Another section at the top has some color zoning with transparency. It cabs really easy and you have to watch out because it cuts so easily. Very solid but there are a lot of horizontal cracks to work around.
     I thought this might be aventurine due to all the sparkle on the surface..   Well, here are some pictures of the cabs I cut and a couple with a light behind the stone to show how transparent it is.
     Several sets of pictures due to size....

55fossil

Re: Amazonite cabochons
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 09:40:49 AM »

more pics,  Amazonite

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 02:06:43 PM »

Have read both your posts, and seen the rough photo you posted.

From the look of the top row cabs and the backlit color, I'd lean more toward Aventurine.

Have never had any Aventurine with the darker bands in it, but the color doesn't fit well with most Amazonite.

Not an expert on either one, but have handled and cut a fair bit of both.

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 05:06:27 PM »

I have to agree with you. The sparkly effect in some of this stone being my key factor at this point.
But... the pictures and descriptions on line pretty similar. thanks,

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 10:04:12 PM »

I agree with Vince, I would lean adventurine

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 09:34:13 AM »

Yep, 55fossil, the aventurescence is the first thing I saw. I've always liked those sparkles.

It's easy to cut off-axis where you don't get the full effect, but you have some nice flashy ones there.

Geology.com has a nice page showing the variety of colors that can be found at https://geology.com/gemstones/aventurine/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 37 queries.