Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jade 101 class with Michael Hoover, WOW  (Read 3164 times)

55fossil

Jade 101 class with Michael Hoover, WOW
« on: June 01, 2016, 07:17:03 PM »

Well, it was more like an upper level training than Freshman class.  I just spent the day with Michael showing me more about jade grading, cutting and polishing than I learned in the last 3 years on my own.  I have been buying, cutting and wasting a lot of jade over the years but now  know a lot about more about how to cut and polish jade in just one day. PS:  I have been cutting rock for many years. Jade is way different than any jasper or agate you have ever cut. My agates and jaspers have been shown in Lapidary Digest so I do know how to cut, a little. But not jade, until now.
      For anyone that seriously wants to cut jade I would highly recommend getting with Michael and setting up a class for one or more days. I will be spending a second day and only wish I had more time to stay here and learn more about jade and how to cut it the right way the first time. I am certain that many people would love cutting jade if they knew how to do it correctly. I cannot wait to get home and start cabbing jade now. This after only one day... And now I know what to look for when I buy jade, Real Jade, not shiny green rock.
NOTE:  One day is enough to learn the basics and take off. More days allows for practice and more types of jade from more areas. They are not all the same......
      Michael has been kind enough to set up lodging which is really nice. The solitude is awesome in a beautiful woodsy setting. His shop is full of everything you need to cut and polish jade. His experience has shown me so many things about how to examine jade and what steps to take to cut it, The Correct Way. The training is not free but I will pay for my class and travel in one day of cutting jade cabochons. I have wasted hundreds of dollars of good jade thinking it was junk jade because I was me cutting it wrong......  So, if you want to learn how to get the best out of your jade, think about a class with Michael. Nope, he did not pay me to write this. I paid him up front and he should have charged me way more...... And no orange peel on the cabochons I cut today....yay

Neal,  Blue Owyhee Gems

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
Re: Jade 101 class with Michael Hoover, WOW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 08:40:06 PM »

Wow - What a nice note Neil.  I am printing it for my wife to read now.  Still - no discount for tomorrow!   :occasion14:

Neil really is a quick study and has some very nice Jade.  I think we saved the best piece for working tomorrow too.  I must warn all that really understanding how to work Jade takes years and Jade can become a minor obsession very easily. It is so easy to work with and so difficult to understand. 

Orrum

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 04:16:10 AM »

Where are u located Micharl! I go out west every winter.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 02:06:38 PM »

I live on an Island with a bridge, in Puget Sound, Washington, about 18 miles from Tacoma.

Orrum

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 04:49:13 PM »

Oh man u r at the end of the world!!!   LOL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 35 queries.