Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: silver transition in intarsia  (Read 1077 times)

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
silver transition in intarsia
« on: September 09, 2017, 09:31:48 AM »

I've been trying my hand at some simple intarsia lately. I got wild and decided to sandwich a piece of silver bezel between two pieces. You know, to create a cool looking silver seam. When I started grinding the piece on my diamond wheel, the silver was pulled out of the seam, like it was melting out to the griding surface. Certainly not what I expected.  I use a constant supply of cool water, but read in another thread about the perils of grinding metal on a diamond wheel and it got me wondering if I was violating some law of metallurgy?

edgarscale

Re: silver transition in intarsia
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »

i would try hand filing the edges.  using a loupe to check your work and filing some more.  polish using a polishing wheel.  should work well.

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

bobby1

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »

One of the difficulties in embedding metal into stone pieces especially when it separates two or more pieces of stone is in keeping the bond stable. I use epoxy 330. As you work the piece the stone conducts heat at a different rate than the metal so as it heats and cools it expands and contracts at a different rate than the stone. This difference often weakens the bond and causes a failure of the bond. It can be limited if you back the piece with a separate piece of stone.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 11:29:01 AM »

When reading I didn't even think of the contraction due to grinding and the affects it has on bond. A no brainer in many cases but in silver in intarsia it didn't even occur to me.  Always great to get reminded of the simple answers thanks to so many minds and voices here.

Greg Hiller

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 10:33:42 AM »

I made a small scarab beetle type cab for a ring once and I also sandwiched some fine silver between some pieces of lapis.  I believe I used 330 epoxy.  I don't remember having the same problems as you, but you might be better off just going directly to a silicon carbide belt sander.  Good excuse to change belts.  I think you will find less of that problem of metal vs. diamond.  Also, as mentioned, go slow with lots of water and do not allow heat to build up.  I agree one of the big problems will be with different rates of expansion of the material. 
Always interested in trading slabs and rough
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 36 queries.