Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frantom 18" Split Nut  (Read 1232 times)

vitzitziltecpatl

Frantom 18" Split Nut
« on: October 31, 2018, 10:18:56 PM »

Had the first little hiccup with our "new" Frantom. Apparently the bolts holding the split nut assembly got a little loose. Or maybe the large rock that shifted in the vise during a heel cut caused a problem.

Anyway, the carriage stopped - so I first assumed maybe the split nut was getting worn. Was finally able to get it going again by tightening the bolts at the bottom of the assembly. Found that tightening them too much caused the assembly to bind up. Handle wouldn't even move. Loosening them too much causes it to not grip tightly enough.

This is the first saw I've had with a split-nut setup on it, so it's all new to me. Seems like a strange mechanical design, but they've worked well on saws for about a thousand years now, right?

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Frantom 18" Split Nut
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 04:40:51 AM »

I'm not familiar with the Frantom specifics, but if the nut you are tightening is the one that acts as the fulcrum for the two halves of the mechanism it would be critical to facilitating alignment of the threads.  Even if its one that merely holds the split nut mechanism in the correct place it could affect thread alignment by preventing twisting.  Either way its nice to go over slab saws with some frequency checking for things that are loosening or tightening.  There can be a significant vibration that causes fasteners to move.  I'd guess monthly for a machine that's used moderately often.  I find the sled rollers on my HP need periodic attention. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 04:49:14 AM »

That screw should have enough thread to put a nut on the end to lock the thread.  If the threads are worn out in the anchor plate then you will need to find a screw long enough to double nut the back end.  I would not recommend Locktite in this instance as the release mechanism is heat and you really don't want to be using a torch in an oil bath.

Jhon P

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 07:28:58 AM »

I have a Fram Tom 18” saw dose yours look like this?
I have had mine apart several times. The bolts that attach the half nut has a nut on the back side to lock
The bolt in place. It’s a little hard to get to but you can do it. Loosen the lock nut and adjust the bolt so that the half nut just move freely than hold the bolt with a wrench and tighten the lock nut with another wrench. If the half nut strips out on you I can tell you how I fixed mine. I run this saw all the time cutting sphere preforms, it’s been a good old saw for about 10 years now

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »

Yep. Same unit Jhon. It also has two bolts on the lower part of the front - one on each side.

I do remember that you had posted a fix for stripped threads. Some type of insert or liner that you made? Was gonna' search for that when I had more "online" time.

Will have to tear this thing down for good inspection and maintenance one of these days. It's just been so nice to have a saw like this I already don't like the idea of it being down for any length of time.

Jhon P

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 06:42:40 PM »

I ground the face of the two pieces, clamped them in a big vice and recut them with a tap. I have done it twice, I may not have enough brass left to do it a third time

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 09:52:10 PM »

Thanks for the tip! I didn't remember that. Maybe that's why I bought that big ol' tap and die set last year...!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.