Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Virgin Valley Opalized wood  (Read 5433 times)

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
Re: Virgin Valley Opalized wood
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 04:51:22 PM »

This raw material has been drying in a garage in New Mexico for about 17 years.... stable enough for you? We have no idea what it should sell for, that's why I asked in the first place. Here, in our gem and mineral shows, people won't even pay $5 per carat! It just doesn't sell! So.... where can I get this magic $25 to $50 per carat you refer to?

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 06:01:13 PM »

Robin

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 08:44:32 PM »

You could try Opal Auctions.  See here:  https://www.opalauctions.com/auctions/american-opal/american-opal-stones/virgin-valley-opal-stones/
Good luck getting accepted as a seller there.  They didn't even bother to respond to my detailed request some time back. 

Another possibility, though it involves travel, might be The American Opal Society show coming up Nov. 5 & 6 in Anaheim, CA.  It's late for dealer acceptance but I can put you in touch with the AOS dealer contact if you're interested. 

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 08:07:45 AM »

Yeah, I know they've gotten weird.  Of course, you can always try Ebay and do an auction with a reserve on it.   :dontknow:
Robin

rocks2dust

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 11:53:07 AM »

I have both paid and sold in the price range I mentioned years ago when putting together a couple collections of official state gemstones. Prices haven't come down on VV since (unlike some other opals that have been affected by the Welo opal that flooded the market a few years ago). You could try ebay, but even though those are below-wholesale prices, it will take time to sell (mostly bargain-bin buyers). You might try posting over at the OpalholicsAnonymous board, as there is at least one guy (swordfishmining) who regularly posts over there who mines and sells VV opal. He might have some suggestions on where to sell. When I checked just now, the board was offline (they mentioned last night that they were dealing with an outage yesterday, too - wondering whether its something related to the widespread DNS Internet attack that several other major sites have been fighting off the last few days), but I expect it will be back up fairly quickly. If you really decide to let it go at $5 per carat, I'd find some way to grab it - but I believe you can do much better with collectors with deeper pockets than mine.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 02:42:44 PM »

Thanks. we haven't decided, but I'm of the persuasion that a fast nickle beats a slow dime...

55fossil

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 07:31:36 AM »

Phil;    Chill dude, it was an honest question. There have been so many people selling "stabilized" and stable VV opal... you know the drill. I love opal and it is really great you have found some of the stable VV material because there is not much of it. All the material I have collected at VV in the past had to go into water but it was still beautiful. You are a lucky guy to get the good stuff.

freeformcabs

• freeformcabs by Shain Mayer
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 09:30:07 AM »

Very nice!
~Shain

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 42 queries.