Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aussie blue green  (Read 3371 times)

auscarver

Aussie blue green
« on: September 08, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »

Just finished my latest creation, I was told it looks like a star trek badge, not my intention, looks like so many different things, this is nephrite jade from my region, yes we do have quality jade in Australia.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
Re: Aussie blue green
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:11:16 PM »

It's beautiful!  And it does remind me of the Star Trek badge.  What's not to like about a galactic comparison?   

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:21:08 PM »

I love it.
You need to do a tutorial. I have trouble with the final sanding and polishing on nephrite jade carving.
I have a Wyoming jade fishhook that I resanding

Orrum

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 07:46:33 PM »

Yowser but wowser that's awesomeness at its bestest!!!

Windenzee

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 11:26:09 PM »

I love your carving. I myself have several pieces of Nephrite Jade from NZ. Just not getting a lot of time to work it. A tutorial sounds like a very good idea especially when it comes to the polishing.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 05:34:16 AM »

lovely cut and enviable jade, thanks.

auscarver

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 12:51:41 PM »

Great comments, thanks, I have spent many hours developing my smoothing and polishing procedures, nephrite can be extremely challenging, there are three locations in my region that I source my jade from and they all require slightly different methods, the jade in this carving is very fine grain does not splinter or laminate but can still undercut- orange peel, I finished smoothing on 600 carbide then changed to 1200 diamond, diamond up to 50K.
 I polished on Linde A on hard cow hide leather, keeping it slightly moist in our little bench laythe, small diameter leather wheel I made myself, the 50K diamond polished good but the Linde A gave it that extra shine, many jade carvers finish difficult nephrite on 600 to 1200 silicon carbide dry by hand, gives a satin finish, hand sanding and smoothing is a much better method than any power tool as all your lines and curves look better.
 No one method will work on all nephrite, the higher the polish the more your faults show, on some nephrite I have back tracked to 1200 carbide dry as it looked better with a satin finish, orange peel shows out heaps less on a satin carbide finish than on fine grit diamond and Linde a, I can usually tell if it will take a high polish when I reach the 3000 grit stage, I let the jade dictate to me what method I will use, hope this helps.

Jhon P

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 06:04:29 PM »

I went to diamond needle files for the final shaping. So far it works ok. I was going to go to SC grit glued to small dowels next. Or use diamond and lithium grease?  Some pictures of your small leather polishing wheel and other polishing bobs, sticks or whatever you use would be helpful.
Please :Worthy:  I thought about getting Don Salt's video on carving a mobious ribbon, it has instructions on polishing

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 06:10:00 AM »

That is stunning!  All your work is fabulous, but I love the shape on this one. It does kind of look like the Star Trek badge, which is coolness all by itself.   :icon_sunny:
Robin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 45 queries.