Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What's happening out your way?  (Read 4838 times)

Downwindtracker2

Re: What's happening out your way?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 10:15:37 AM »

Of more importance, my wife brought home a green river rock. From the glassiness of the chip, like agate or jasper. Both in green are very  uncommon here, as in never. It not jade, which is sometimes found on the river.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 01:03:41 PM »

I'm in Maricopa County AZ, home of Phoenix. 
All schools statewide are shut down as of Monday last week.
As of yesterday morning we had 30 confirmed cases, and as of last night the first death in a 50ish year old man.

All restaurants have been ordered by the state to do takeout and delivery only.
The request was made that if you could work from home, to please do so. All large public gatherings are cancelled. 

Only businesses that are considered essential are open - grocery stores, pet food stores, medical facilities, gas stations, and those restaurants that are able to do takeout or delivery.

My Husband and I both work for the same company, and we have been working from home since Wednesday since I am considered in the higher risk group due to nasty asthma.

Food?  Not an issue we have ourselves a mini-stockpile.  My Husband was brought up Mormon, he knows how to store quantities of food to last a few months.  To that end I have learned to do it myself.  I figure we have three months of non-perishable food on hand, three full freezers and two fridges with what we could need.  Only things we will run out of at some point are almond milk, yogurt, sour cream, fresh tofu, and cheese.  We're good on almost everything else at the moment and will be for some time.  So we're sitting here comfortably at home watching other people clean out the grocery stores because we were prepared ahead of time.

TP?  We are not hoarding that and think it's insane that some people are.  One case from Costco lasts us two months.  We have a partial and one full case.  We're good for the duration.

Currently have Sprouted Spelt and Rye flour sourdough bread rising in the oven, and supplemental food for my dogs cooking in the second oven (I have a double oven).

My 2x four legged security system watches the front door during the day for me and guards us in the bedroom at night.
I've attached a picture of my security system.b032466a-daaf-4935-836a-4a2f498230dc.jpg
*b032466a-daaf-4935-836a-4a2f498230dc.jpg (69.2 kB . 432x432 - viewed 331 times)

55fossil

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2020, 03:29:41 PM »

Really busy here....  Home of the worlds happiest dogs and horses. Garden is already up with peas, lettuce and radishes.
   I bike into the eastern side of the foothills, 16 miles in the morning. Walk the old dog for 45 minutes cause we are both overweight. That and I am dismantling a 1960 Chevy Apache step side. Nut and bolt, complete frame off restoration in progress. I purchased the truck just before the Corona crap hit the fan. No time to get sick.....

I see Trump has now gone from it is a "Reporter Propaganda" virus hoax … to now he has had a second test for the virus. I am playing it safe and isolating. Even if I did not get it I would not want to infect my friends or family. 

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 03:49:35 PM »

If you don't like Trump that fine but let's keep politics out of the conversation. 

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »

The club cab making instruction got cancelled today, Saturday, and tomorrow. It's best to be safe.  After all the work I put into setting up the shop, it's bit of a shame , it's not getting used.

The wife was complaining about the door knob on the front door. I agreed it needed replacing, but I told her we shouldn't be out shopping. It's that, that is annoying. 

55fossil

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2020, 05:30:58 PM »

I spent 8 years in the military. Military on both sides.  You feel free to say your interpretations of this mess and I will politely share my views. Kind of like when some people love agate and some love jasper, just a personal choice based on a persons views developed over many years. Not throwing stones.

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2020, 06:26:04 PM »

I'm a Canuck so no weighing in on your politics, certainly not on a rockhounder forum.  I'm a baby boomer, thus the chuckle over Boomer Remover, but this might be the greatest piece of history in my life time.  It might also be the last piece :occasion14: Not just the deaths, but the economic fallout. A Spanish Flu and the Great Depression rolled into one. Your posts could be recording serious history. They might not even award the Stanley Cup. That would be only second time since 1893.

Kaljaia

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2020, 09:18:58 PM »

I'm on the other end of the age scale here and am very glad I have been blessed with financial security and took that parental advice to save up a year's salary just in case; not everyone in my age bracket has that opportunity! On the very short term, just glad I'm still getting paid, even if it's to twiddle my thumbs, wait for a phone to ring, or like today, go on a scavenger hunt for another department's scattered ladder collection. My community is co-oping to order through a local bulk food delivery service so we can reduce trips to town, and since I'm just feeding myself and two cats, it doesn't take much to get us through a few weeks! I still have a lot of elk and pig in the freezer too.

Watching spring unfold in the high desert has been an amazing juxtaposition with all this. And today, I did notice the utter absence of airplanes in the sky.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

VegasJames

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2020, 09:52:03 PM »

We should be keeping focus on developing treatments for other diseases - not cutting research funds for those or backing off on efforts to counter preventable health problems such as smoking. Be that as it may, there is no reason not to address a new deadly outbreak. COVID19 was an obvious threat from the earliest days. It is a deadly form of the common cold virus, which spreads just as quickly and has a greater mortality rate than influenza. Moreover, there is no proven cure for Corona viruses and no vaccine to stop or moderate its spread.

No reputable source or "expert" is claiming this thing will be over by November. What they are trying to do now is get a handle on it before the "cough and cold season" winds down in May-June. If anything, the potential is that it will explode again next November, just as other corona cold viruses normally do, unless an effective vaccine and/or treatment can be quickly developed over the summer.

The mainstream media has run stories about the dangers of bleeding and liver damage for NSAIDs and similar OTC remedies for decades. The FDA has also put out warnings (they require them right there on the boxes).

The US and some other countries could have reacted much faster, as did South Korea and others who have maintained their bio-hazard defenses, to avoid this type of widespread shut down (by immediately deploying out country-wide testing using the kits the WHO made available months ago and implementing targeted sanitation and isolation regamins). Backing off efforts to contain this is just wrong-headed. Hopefully, this will be coralled in time so the conspiracy theorist crowd can point to the successful efforts to make out that it was all a hoax.

No reputable expert would ever use statistics to claim a higher mortality rate since as everyone knows statistics are easily manipulated to prove whatever they wish to prove. 

Let's look at what has been reported on the differences between influenza and coronavirus according to Johns Hopkins:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

"Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 286,932 cases worldwide; 19,624 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 21, 2020.*

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.
Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 11,906 deaths reported worldwide; 260 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 21, 2020.*

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year."

And the fact remains there are other deadlier common viruses that have been around for a while. Why all of a sudden panic over this virus but not other deadlier common viruses, or other things that kill more people annually all with government support?

As for vaccines or other treatments why are they only focusing on a vaccine especially with all the problems with vaccines including low effectiveness if any at all? Fact is that vaccines have never been proven safe nor effective. The best argument people can come up with when asked for evidence of efficacy is the unsubstantiated claim that vaccines got rid of smallpox. Deadly viruses have dies out on their own since no vaccines exist for them so who is to say that smallpox did not simply die out on its own accord?

Why don't focus on things with solid evidence of efficacy such as ozone therapy?

https://clinmedjournals.org/articles/jide/journal-of-infectious-diseases-and-epidemiology-jide-6-113.php?jid=jide

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/ozone-can-be-used-to-destroy-the-new-coronavirus-and-disinfect-areas

https://www.researchgate.net/post/Can_we_cure_corona_virus_Chinese_Novel_corona_virus_infection_using_ozone_therapy

http://www.china.org.cn/opinion/2020-02/26/content_75747237_4.htm

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ozones-effectiveness-killing-sars-coronavirus-000000776.html

https://www.nanobble.com/possibility-of-using-ozone-micro-nano-bubbles-ozone-therapy-routine-daily-activities-to-cure-and-protect-against-corona-virus-infection/

Another good article on ozone:

https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/doi/pdf/10.1289/ehp.95103s277

Problem is economics again. Ozone therapy has also been shown to be highly effective against cancers without causing secondary cancers like so many allopathic therapies and cancer cells cannot build a tolerance to ozone, ozone boosts anticancer cytokines and superoxide dismutase, ozone increases white blood cell activity and oxidizes excess hormones that can promote cancer. Ozone has also been shown to be effective for herpes, various types of infectious hepatitis, burns, staph infections including antibiotic resistant staph, carbon monoxide poisoning, etc.  Despite NUMEROUS studies proving the safety and efficacy of ozone therapy and the fact that under U.S. law ozone has a grandfathered approval status ozone therapy is not allowed to be used to cure diseases to protect pharmaceutical profits. Unlike unproven vaccines ozone therapy is not patentable and thus it cannot be controlled by big pharma nor the FDA who is in bed with big pharma as has been proven over and over.  So why people are dying of diseases such as cancer, hepatitis and viruses such as coronaviruses the cures that already exist are not being allowed unless they they can be controlled and made profitable for big pharma.

So where are the warnings for heart attack, stroke and kidney damage even from single recommended doses of NSAIDs? Why are they promoting aspirin for heart attacks when studies and common sense tell us that this is one of the dumbest things a person can do during a heart attack? In fact if you understood NSAIDs and heart attacks you would also know why this is so stupid.

The FDA did not even admit that these drugs could cause heart attacks and strokes for decades despite this fact being well known. And the media did not even report on these side effects until the FDA finally admitted to what had been well known for decades.

What is funny is the FDA has banned or attempted to ban herbs with less damage or deaths but not only removes extremely deadly drugs such as most NSAIDs from the prescription only because they are deemed to dangerous without prescription to safe enough for over the counter status as soon as the patents expire. Why? Did the FDA waive their magic wand to make these drugs deemed too dangerous to be sold without a prescription to magically make them suddenly safe enough for people to buy and use over the counter? Of course not. Again it is all about protecting pharmaceutical profits.

As for your mentioning of testing do you have any clue how testing is done? They are using polymerase chain reaction (PCR, "viral load") to test for the virus. You may want to read up in the medical journals about the numerous problems with testing accuracy with the PCR.

While you are at it you may want to learn what the definition of a theory is. I always get such a kick out of these people who have no clue what a theory is so they try and insult people by calling them a "conspiracy theorist". If only they knew the definition and therefore why their insults are so ridiculously stupid. :laughing4:

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2020, 10:20:55 AM »

Princess Cruise lines supplied us with some data, .7% which is in line with South Korea's .6% . Seasonal flu is about .1%, it's still pretty serious. Italy is a mess. Since I have the worlds smartest and most beautiful grand daughter, I hope to see her grow up some more.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »

Y'all...
Let's keep to a nice civil discussion.  So far nothing has gotten out of hand, but...

NO POLITICS.

I don't want to have to thwack anyone over the head with my Bat of Moderation (TM).

Also if you are going to share Coronavirus information, please keep to factual stuff, no conspiracy theory or quack science please.  If I see total lunacy being posted I WILL either edit the postings, OR if it's totally out of hand, lock down the thread.

Happy posting!

Felicia

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2020, 12:11:45 PM »

If it's a cold virus, and spreads like one, a person is contagious for 3 to 5 days before symptoms begin according to everything I've been able to find. a  major reason why the common cold has not been contained.

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2020, 01:27:29 PM »

It's more like a flu virus than a cold virus. No comfort there, eh. Still a virus.  Other coronaviruses are SARS and MERS . I don't know about your areas, but here in Canada , some provinces are telling internal (Canadian) travelers to self isolate for the 14 days when they come into their provinces.

Those % numbers, all under 1, are hard numbers,  and I thought they were rather encouraging with what is really possible.

When I look at the calendar, I'm amazed at how much I look at things differently. Two weeks ago I went to a rock and gem show on Vancouver Island, now I wouldn't dream of it. Going on the ferry, crowds.

VegasJames

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2020, 11:20:53 PM »

Y'all...
Let's keep to a nice civil discussion.  So far nothing has gotten out of hand, but...

NO POLITICS.

I don't want to have to thwack anyone over the head with my Bat of Moderation (TM).

Also if you are going to share Coronavirus information, please keep to factual stuff, no conspiracy theory or quack science please.  If I see total lunacy being posted I WILL either edit the postings, OR if it's totally out of hand, lock down the thread.

Happy posting!

Vampire bat or fruit bat? :laughing4:

Problem with the conspiracy theory comment is how many people here know enough about things like medicine and human physiology/pathophysiology to determine what is a conspiracy theory?  As we have seen one person who obviously does not know about any of these was attempting to use the term "conspiracy theorist crowd" as an attempted insult because he neither knew or understood the facts and did not know what a theory is.  A theory is a hypothesis (educated guess) that HAS BEEN BACKED BY EVIDENCE!  So using the term conspiracy theories only refers to conspiracies that have been backed by actual evidence. Yes. conspiracies do really happen in real life.

Downwindtracker2

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »

You might be on to something. Your bat comment might be pretty close to the truth, chuckle, as to the source of the virus.

As a foreigner looking on, I live a whole 27 and a 1/2 blocks  from the border, conspiracies are not generally  part of  Canadian discussions.

On the COVID-19 front, yesterday the weather was super nice, the people flocked to the parks, not keeping their social distancing.6 feet apart or 6 feet under.  We have some very unhappy authorities . Unhappy  wasn't my first choice for the word . 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 55 queries.