Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hard wheel sequence  (Read 4544 times)

Slabbercabber

Re: Hard wheel sequence
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »

Wow, five hp.  And I thought I was into overkill.

bobby1

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 04:23:50 PM »

I made this machine 25 years ago out of stainless steel and it has seen hard usage ever since. Currently, it has a medium worn 100 grit on the right and a well worn 100 grit to the left of it. Next up is a 3" wide expando wheel. Above all of this is a selection of belts from 60 grit through 300 grit. I do 95% of my work on this and about 5% on some of the wheels on a 6" Geni. When I built the machine I designed it with the wheels rather far apart so I could do very large cabs. So far a 6" oval cab is my largest. The smallest cab I have done is a 1/8" round one so the machine is very versatile. My usual steps are rough grind on the right-hand wheel, fine grind on the other and then to a worn 100 grit belt for the first sand. Next 220 sand, 400 sand on a well worn belt and then to my slow turning carpet covered wheel with cerium oxide for the polish.
Bob

Jhon P

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 09:04:13 PM »

My FranTom I have 60, 220, and 320 hard wheels.
I seldom use the 320 but when I do I am glad I have it
I have 3, 8” lortone two wheel arbors with 3” wide expandable drums. They all have plenty of room between the wheels. Gives me lots of room to work. It comes in handy when doing knifes. This set up is what I like but may not be good for others
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 32 queries.