Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weaving Shuttle  (Read 1657 times)

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Weaving Shuttle
« on: March 18, 2017, 11:11:38 PM »

One of my other hobbies is weaving.
I have a Schacht 8 harness folding floor loom.

I am searching right now for some kind of instructions or plans for a good boat style weaving shuttle with a solid bottom so my Husband or Father-in-law can make me a couple shuttles since they both work with wood.    :cool:

Here is a link to some boat shuttles so you have an idea of what I am looking for.
http://woolery.com/gift-ideas/gifts-for-weavers/bluster-bay-bull-shuttles-8-10.html

I spent two hours searching Google today for plans and came up empty handed.  I had to stop as my eyes were hurting.   :undecided:

Thanks!

Grayco

Re: Weaving Shuttle
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 07:23:50 AM »

I don't know anything about weaving, but I did find this Yahoo group with over 2000 members that appears to be fairly busy.
You may find someone here with the information you are looking for.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WeaveTech/info
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

-Red Green-

Susan

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:31:03 AM »

Oh cool! Would love to learn on a floor loom one day. I only have a little Schacht Cricket Rigid Heddle Loom. What does the closed bottom on the boat shuttle do? My weaving knowledge is still very basic obviously. Would love to see some pictures of what you create!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:47 AM »

Oh cool! Would love to learn on a floor loom one day. I only have a little Schacht Cricket Rigid Heddle Loom. What does the closed bottom on the boat shuttle do? My weaving knowledge is still very basic obviously. Would love to see some pictures of what you create!

The closed bottom shuttles slide across the threads of the warp a lot easier.  The open shed on a rigid heddle loom is typically to small to allow a boat shuttle to pass through, unless you can get someone to specially make one small enough to work.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:43:12 AM »

I don't know anything about weaving, but I did find this Yahoo group with over 2000 members that appears to be fairly busy.
You may find someone here with the information you are looking for.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WeaveTech/info

Thank you for that.  I will check them out.

Susan

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:03:53 AM »

The closed bottom shuttles slide across the threads of the warp a lot easier.  The open shed on a rigid heddle loom is typically to small to allow a boat shuttle to pass through, unless you can get someone to specially make one small enough to work.

That makes sense, probably keeps from wearing on the yarn too. Yeah, there's not a lot of room in the shed on the Cricket. Can't even wind the shuttle too thick. It has it's limitations but is perfect for me at this stage. I haven't been ready to commit time, money or space yet for a floor loom. I've just made a few scarfs (scarves?) so far - don't get to wear them here so I make them for family & friends in colder areas. Gives me some practice and satisfaction of making something different. I started out knitting and I still enjoy it, but it takes me so long to finish something. Weaving is faster!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »

Susan - My Husband got me a Schacht 8 harness "Mighty Wolf" folding floor loom as my combination Anniversary/Birthday gift.  It is definitely something you have to save for.  Mine came out to about $3500.  The beauty is, it folds up to lean against a wall for easy storage.    It's fairly light weight and once I'm healed up from surgery I could literally probably half lift it and drag it anyplace in the house I wanted to.  I could even order in the wheel attachments they sell for it and wheel it anyplace I wanted. 

They have smaller version called the "Baby Wolf" and the "Wolf Pup," all of which are shown as being able to fold and fit into a car trunk! Those are also vastly cheaper than my large loom, and if you had no intentions of creating larger pieces, one of those smaller ones would do what you needed.  If you have a local weaver's guild I would look into joining up, as the folks there could really give you a lot of insight on what to get for your needs, and help you find used looms someone might be selling, or other used weaving equipment.  I recently went looking around and found a Weaver's guild locally I am going to look into for myself. 

Susan

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 10:37:24 AM »

Wow your loom is amazing! I looked it up on the Schacht site and besides being functional it's just pretty! ;-)
A very sweet gift for sure and nice that it's not too heavy. I can't quite commit to a big one just yet, I have so many other things going that I'm spread way too thin. I'm just having some fun with the Cricket loom for now, but can see myself getting at least a little bit wider one later. I was at an art show this weekend and found out about fiber guild locally so I'll probably join. I do see used looms for sale so when I get ready I'll keep a watch for a good one. Thanks for all the info!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 41 queries.