Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kumihimo stand  (Read 2711 times)

LithicStrings

Kumihimo stand
« on: August 09, 2014, 07:24:46 PM »

Here is the marudai (kumihimo stand) that lithicbeads made for me.  The legs are just dowels. He bought a nice piece of wood for the top, drilled hole in the middle, then rasped and filed it until it was a good size.  He made it round, rasped and filed down the outside edge, and that 's the top.  Much less expensive than buying one, and a joy to use remembering the love that went into it.
I use old plastic film canisters for bobbins, wrapped in tape to keep the thread from slipping off. I fill them with washers and coins, with cotton balls to keep the washers/coins from sliding around. Then I can change the weight of the bobbins to fit the project.  The wooden bobbins that were commercially available used lead for weight, which we didn't want to use so chose this less toxic set-up.
I made a simple counterweight bag, which is the extent of my sewing abilities.  It likewise holds washers and coins.
The set-up in this picture is 16 bobbins.  The last picture shows the resulting braid, with my "birthday bead" with its square hole complements of lithicbeads.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Kumihimo stand
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »

Beautiful setup!  The things our loved ones make for us tend to be the most special.  I needed a bead loom and my Father-In-Law made me one based on pictures I had.  I love it.  It's built to last me forever.   :D

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 11:01:50 PM »

thats cool!
I love that Jasper too!

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »

Wowsers your set up is awesome!  Mine is a foam one with plastic bobbins for holding the thread...  Yours is all fancy shmancy...  :|  Love the cord for that gorgeous bead too.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 03:11:41 PM »

Bless Frank's heart -- those things cost a left lung if you go to buy them.  It's beautiful!
Robin

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 09:16:41 PM »

thats super neat! and a beautiful pendant as well! :) im interested to see that in action when i come over next

Ajo

• Red Sky Gems
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »

I just got introduced to Kumihimo. I want to learn it so I can make leather cording at some point. Your set up is great, it has given me some great ideas. I have the small hand Kumihimo disk to start out with. Until I get the hang of it I will stick to the disk. Thanks for sharing.Eric.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.