Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: My creations ~ thread  (Read 16668 times)

edgarscale

Re: My creations ~ thread
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 12:35:10 PM »

i love everyone of your cabs shown.   not familiar with the victoria stone.  which one is that?

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

MurphyStone

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 12:40:11 PM »

i love everyone of your cabs shown.   not familiar with the victoria stone.  which one is that?

That is the blue stone in the double stone pendant with the opal.  I will have to check it maybe a bridewell.  I have cut both types and occasionally they are similar. 

edgarscale

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 05:46:50 PM »

what a beauty that is.  do you know the history of the Victoria stone?  at first i thought the victoria stone was the one where queen victoria (from england) had her mourning jewlery made with.  i understood it to be a type of Jet.  mourning jewlery was the rage for quite some time, hence, i was looking for a black cab.

='s one great pendant

MurphyStone

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 08:10:58 AM »

A few from this weekend after the kids went to bed.    Lots of first for,  first time silversmithing a inlay ring, first inlay, also first cold connection rivet.  I'll call it a success.  I also have full construction pictures of the ring if interested, no idea if I did it correct but it worked.  They can be scene here  https://www.facebook.com/pg/murphystonejewelry/photos/?tab=album&album_id=359464267829330

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »

Wow that is an amazing job for your first inlay ring!  I haven't tried one but have been yearning to try an inlay ring myself.  Fantastic job on all the pieces and am always impressed by your work.  I had thoughts about going down to the Holland Lapidary School to take a session on inlay but was put off by having to take the other pre-req classes like faceting.  Some of the classes I would have to take beginning cab making which just seems silly with what I have done so far but your work just makes me want to experiment. 

On the Charoite did you use a diamond band saw to cut the curve on the back of the stone to fit the ring size or just grind to shape with a foredom or dremel?

Steve

MurphyStone

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 11:14:06 AM »

Wow that is an amazing job for your first inlay ring!  I haven't tried one but have been yearning to try an inlay ring myself.  Fantastic job on all the pieces and am always impressed by your work.  I had thoughts about going down to the Holland Lapidary School to take a session on inlay but was put off by having to take the other pre-req classes like faceting.  Some of the classes I would have to take beginning cab making which just seems silly with what I have done so far but your work just makes me want to experiment. 

On the Charoite did you use a diamond band saw to cut the curve on the back of the stone to fit the ring size or just grind to shape with a foredom or dremel?

Steve

Give it a try, the total process took me about 4 hours not bad imo for a first time.  3 hours for the ring and hour to take the stone from slab to inlay.

I actually just used the edge of my hard wheel :eek.  If you do a ring similar to this, the one thing I learned was it would be easiest to fit the stone to the inner shank before actually building the ring.  That way your not doing it blind and can see the backside and edges, or do it before putting on the top ring.   Not sure if you looked at the facebook link, but the pics are pretty self explanatory.  I just used sheet and 10G square wire (4 pieces) ( a little too thick at 2.6mm)  I have ordered some 12 and 14 gauge as well as corresponding rectangular wire for some rings ill try this weekend. 

Thanks for looking and the compliments, glad you enjoy the work. 

MurphyStone

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 11:18:30 AM »

@irockhound

And by the way super jealous of your rough stock.  It looks like you have a like for sagenite and plumes like I do.  I have been cutting a bunch of old San Carlos Sagenite lately, I love the golden sprays.  Do you have any of the horse canyon that contained the blues more so than just green? 

edgarscale

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »

that's a beauty

='s one great pendant

MurphyStone

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 07:52:11 AM »

that's a beauty

Thanks

This green velvet obsidian came off the bench last night tarnished the outer surround. 

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »

I really like that one.  Velvet obsidian is beautiful and I love the setting you did on that one!   :occasion14:
Robin

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 11:15:57 AM »

I probably have over a thousand lbs. of Horse Canyon.  When you say blues are you thinking agate color or when the moss has the bluish hue to it.

MurphyStone

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 04:03:12 AM »

I probably have over a thousand lbs. of Horse Canyon.  When you say blues are you thinking agate color or when the moss has the bluish hue to it.

The moss with a bluish hue. 

Thanks

MurphyStone

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 06:10:09 AM »

Parcellas and purple passion. 

MurphyStone

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 04:10:30 AM »

Sheeps Bridge Sagenite

Birds of Paradise

edgarscale

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 06:16:26 AM »

all is really well made.  good work

='s one great pendant
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 56 queries.