Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Geode / thunderegg holder for saw, looks good  (Read 3053 times)

55fossil

Geode / thunderegg holder for saw, looks good
« on: October 18, 2016, 08:47:33 AM »

I was thumbing through the internet looking at lapidary stuff. You can never have too much. This metal holder for t-eggs caught my eye. I have cut over 1,000 t-eggs from 1 to 12 inches. Yep, I have eggs escape and destroy blades so this really got my attention. Anyone ever used one of these?
Here is a link to the image. Tried to copy it but... maybe someone else could add to this thread.  neal

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rzwAAOSwRgJXl6dU/s-l1600.jpg

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Geode / thunderegg holder for saw, looks good
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:05:46 PM »

It looks secure but may restict the number of slabs  as it requires a bit of depth.

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 12:10:51 PM »

You slab T-eggs??????  kidding. But once you have an egg cut in half you can use your slab grabber on the flat edge. Then cut all the slabs you can get.  I have cut some beautiful cabochons from t-eggs. Sure wish I had some more nice Priday's.

Kaljaia

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 12:41:05 PM »

These ones here?
http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,16970.0.html

I need to make me one too.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

rockherder

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »

I have a huge number of round rocks that I'm trying to cut.
Just wondering if anyone has experience with the grabber that fossil listed?
I've been afraid to cut anything round on my saw for fear I'll lose a blade and I only have an 18" saw so if I lose the blade I'm out a bit.
I've thought about buying a smaller saw to be able to use cheaper blades.
-Doug in El Dorado Hills, CA

Slabbercabber

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 12:23:34 PM »

I've been afraid to cut anything round on my saw for fear I'll lose a blade and I only have an 18" saw so if I lose the blade I'm out a bit.
I've thought about buying a smaller saw to be able to use cheaper blades.

I use an 18" blade in a 24" saw.  No reason you can't use a 14" blade in an 18" saw.  If you use a step pulley you can go even smaller.

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 07:35:33 PM »

I'd just say, make sure you double check the shut off on the saw and don't leave the saw running by itself.  I'll stick with using softer wood on the jaw vise to get a better grip.
Steve

fossilman

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 07:04:59 AM »

I have seen these slab grabbers,but a bit to high priced for my taste! I have cut 1000's of thundereggs and Geodes and never ever had one slip on me!!
I use 1x4's shims and others types of soft woods to apply to my vise and eggs...Works like a charm..
Looks like a "Rat race",but works like a charm...
God,family and life!!

Michael

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 10:47:28 PM »

Most of the T'eggs I have done, and let me be quite frank, not many, are shallow.  That is.  The stuff is mostly end cut, and the matrix is 75% of the stone.  So, your slab selection is very limited.
I did a rock sale outside Tacoma last summer.  The stones were unique, but it proved mostly matrix.  T'eggs have to be examined carefully prior to purchase.  Thanks.
Mike

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 04:46:53 AM »

The design looks great: for the initial mid egg cut = two hemispheres.  My one design change might be to make that transverse piece that is clamped in the vice a bit more  robust.  As designed it would work best with a top and bottom vice clamp vice.  I'd want more surface area if I had vertical vice jaws.  With limited surface area if it slipped, you would have metal and rock in your blade with disaster pending.  It could be fabricated out of wood to try out its utility for you. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

yukonjade

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 09:21:10 AM »

Buy a 2x4 saw into 4 inch sections cut egg in half glue half to wood with Elmers glue let cure over nite
  cut your slabs when you are done drop the 2x4 in a bucket of water the last slab will come off after the glue softens
 it may take several days. :happy7:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 47 queries.