Off Topic Area > Random Musings

Need you guys' advice

(1/4) > >>

Debbie K:
My local club is interested in me teaching a class in gemstone carving. I was thinking of doing a really basic class where the material and tools are provided, 4 hours for 4 days, 16 hours in all. I think most of you know what I do, but if you don't dlskdesigns.com.

The club would take $15 per person per day for the cost of wear and tear on tools and electricity. The cost of the materials and tools would be north of $75. So, before I would ever get paid the cost to the student would be about $135.

I haven't taught a class in years and have no idea what the going rate is these days. Have any of you guys taken or taught any classes recently? If so, I would greatly appreciate knowing what the charge was.

It may just be that it is a prohibitively expense class for most folks, or I would have to charge so little it wouldn't be worth my while. I've been teaching folks for free because until now because they used to charge even more. I've tried explaining that the size of the class needs to be small, 4 or 5 at the most, because of the attention each student needs but they just don't seem to understand that it isn't like wirewrapping.

Any input would be really appreciated.

Debbie K

lithicbeads:
At my local clay studio classes come out to $20 an hour  per person. This is a lot of money for some people but the reality is that things are quite expensive  and  at this rate  the expertise of the teacher is barely compensated for once again. I know a master potter and when people see the $150 price tag on his tea bowls they ask him how much time he has into the bowl . His answer varies by date but generally it is " 50 years plus 15 minutes".

55fossil:
Debbie:   As a person who does love your work... and someone who has taken a number of classes taught by trained artists as well as people who just knew what they were doing..... IMO

You have to think whether you want to do this as a professional and be paid like one or as a person who wants to give back to the arts. This is not about being greedy by asking for a reasonable price for your time and skills. I took Michael's jade carving instructions and was very happy with his modest charges. This required two days of travel and an overnight stay at my cost plus his fees. It was money well spent. If you charge too little everyone will want to come. Charge too much and some very talented but people who may not have the means to pay for a class of $200 or $300 may have to pass up the opportunity. With your talents you are certainly within reason to be asked a fair price for your work. This is especially true if you are one of those people who can really teach. Myself, I scare off people and am a terrible teacher. You seem to have a good temperament and enjoy people.   good luck on this decision, it is difficult

bobby1:
Our local junior college has multiple classes for jewelry making and lapidary. The college charges $99 per semester for 12 -  3-1/2 hour sessions or 42 hours total. The instructor gets $20 per hour. She charges a $11 material fee.
I also teach specialty classes each is 3 sessions at 3 hours per session and I get $20 per hour. The college charges $49 for my classes. My classes include one that I just finished on making doublets from various materials including opal. Others include carving cabochons from the back, making creative larger cabochons that include internal curves and inlaying small round cabochons into larger cabochons. I have been asked to have a carving class that I'm considering sometime in the future.
I charge a $10 material fee
Our club, the Mother lode Mineral Society provides all the equipment, repairs and much of the supplies for the Modesto Junior College both lapidary and jewelry classrooms. 
Bob

edgarscale:
good luck, i'm sure the decision you come up with will be the right one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version