Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Belt guards. What is your approach?  (Read 1794 times)

Grayco

Belt guards. What is your approach?
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:33:53 AM »

It seems that older equipment does not have belt guards.  I am an industrial mechanic and have seen what fingers look like after they have been run through a pulley.  It ain't pretty! :nono:
Ideally, a good cover prevents the possibility of anyone being able to get any part of their body or clothing into the spinning belt.

Belt guards are usually made of sheetmetal and mounted securely to the machine with accommodations to remove enough of the guard to easily service the belt or pullies.

I don't have sheet metal tools.  I can cut it and make small bends but I don't have a brake and I don't have a welder. (I have a Oxy Accet set I bought in the early 70s but the tanks haven't had gas in then for decades.)

Peruano
posted pictures of his saw, where he used plastic bread trays to cover his belts.  :headbang:
http://s275.photobucket.com/user/rababikes/media/lapidary/IMG_0278_zps57ee324c.jpg.html
http://s275.photobucket.com/user/rababikes/media/lapidary/DSCN2295_zps8bced897.jpg.html
http://s275.photobucket.com/user/rababikes/media/lapidary/DSCN2335_zps8a930758.jpg.html

What have you come up with?

I have three saws that need guards.  A 6", a 12" and a 20". My plan is to try making guards out of wood.  I have a 4x 8x 1/4" sheet of mahogany plywood and I'm going to buy a 12' stick of that 3/4" oak angle trim, (from Home Depot).  After I assemble the custom guard, Ill seal it with a thinned (water soluble) wood putty and a sanding sealer.  Then I'll paint it with the same paint I'm using on the saw. (Rust-Oleum Universal Hammer Finish paint).  I plan to make a custom box that will be secured to the saw and a removable cover for the front of the box.

My only real concern is durability. I'm not certain how well a wood guard will hold up.  I guess it will depend on how well I support the corners and the amount of abuse I apply to it.

Sooo.... Have you got any ideas?  Have you found storage bins or plastic containers or metal boxes or anything that can be converted to a guard? :icon_scratch:
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

-Red Green-

jakesrocks

Re: Belt guards. What is your approach?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:30:22 AM »

Ain't fingers pretty after going between a pulley & belt ? Almost as pretty as the bald spot left after long hair gets caught in the same.

Do you have a sheet metal shop near you ? If so, call & see if they have a Pittsburgh Lock Seam machine. A flat strip of about 22 gage metal with the Pittsburgh seam will be a good start for the part surrounding the belt & pulleys. The face of the guard will need about a 1/4" X 90 deg flange bent into it. The shop may even have a flanging machine to do them. It will put flanges around the rounded ends of a belt guard. Folks at the shop can show you how to put together & set the Pittsburgh seam. You'd end up with nice professional looking guards.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

Grayco

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 10:40:13 AM »

Yea Fingers that go through pulleys are UGLY! They aren't always lost, but they are usually badly broken and terribly torn up!  It makes my toes curl just to think about it!
Can you imagine if a grandchild were to get their hand run through a pulley ######## AHHHHH########!

I still have all 10 fingers.  They are scarred up and a few aren't as straight as they once were, but they are all useful and attached.  When I was just out of high school, I worked in a machine shop with an old Englishman.  He had apprenticed in England and still had all ten of his too.  He told me "Before you start working on any machine, Stop... Count your fingers and make certain you have ten. If you are aware of having ten, your chances of going home with ten are greatly improved".  Over the years, I have realized Aubrey was right.  I have been caught counting my fingers several times.  I have always share Aubrey's wisdom.  My son counts his fingers now.

I know what a Pittsburgh seam is but I'm having trouble visualizing it in a belt guard with a removable front.  That is probably why I would need to talk to the guys at a sheetmetal shop!  :icon_thumleft:

-Red Green-

jakesrocks

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:55:01 AM »

LOL. Retired sheet metal guy here. I've come close several times, but still have all 10 too. I've seen far too many industrial accidents. Usually know it all kids straight out of high school who won't listen to the older experienced workers.

I'm thinking that if the guard were made in 2 pieces, it could be hinged. Motor end secured with 2 bolts, & front with 1 bolt or a spring catch. The front half could swing back out of the way for belt or pulley attention.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »

Here's a link with photos of guards built for two trim saw/ combo units. Simple enough no brake needed.  I came from a farming environment where missing digits was more common than it needed to be (complacency, carelessness, and overconfidence are at times destructive). 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

bobby1

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 12:46:06 PM »

Make a cardboard mockup and take it to your local plastics store and have them make one out of polycarbonate.
Bob

Grayco

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »

Make a cardboard mockup and take it to your local plastics store and have them make one out of polycarbonate.
Bob

That is an option.  Tap Plastic wants $120 for a simple 5 sided box 12" x 18" x 6".  I'm certain a guard from them would be cost prohibitive.

-Red Green-

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 03:35:25 PM »

You could always check with Cigarbox Rocks.  http://cigarboxrock.com/hoods-belt-guards/
Robin

Ranger_Dave

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »

I'm one of those guys that saves all kinds of things. "You never know when you'll need this."

Years ago I took apart an old microwave. There's a couple of really nice magnets inside. I saved the sheet metal housing.

Well.... along comes a small rock saw that needed a belt guard. It was easy to cut and bend. Works great. Already painted too.

bobby1

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 07:35:58 PM »

Buy a half sheet of polycarbonate and give it to your relative/neighbor that is a wood worker. He can cut up for you. It's rather easy to glue it together.
Bob

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »

You can make a lot of things with some 16 gauge aluminum sheet, 90° angle brackets and nuts and bolts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 43 queries.