Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not good enough  (Read 2050 times)

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Not good enough
« on: February 19, 2017, 08:33:24 AM »

Somewhat got a complex yesterday at the gold show.
My fire agates werent good enough.
I seen first hand stones that made my finished stones look like rough.
Kind of pixxed me off, I put alot of work into these stones thinking I had something.
Them I seen those other stones.......

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: Not good enough
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:04:22 AM »

I thought i had nice stones completed, then seeing these other stones with full color across the whole face (the same color) or deep deep deep bloody red).
I was heartbroken knowing i have MANY many many years more playing with fire agates to ever stumble upon a way to complete a fire agate with continuous color across the face of the stone.
Either that or all the quality rough only gets to a handful of people and the top grade i selected out of my rough is general common grade lol

rocks2dust

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:31:47 AM »

I know the feeling. Seems like there is always someone whose work is better in some way, and some days it seems like everyone is getting better results. We do learn from what others have done, but learning is hard on the ego. Something I found when I first decided to ski (back in the day when it was affordable) is that no matter how idiotic your style or spectacularly inept your crashes look to the folks riding above you on the lifts, if you really want to get better at skiing you get up and put the skis back on. And at some point it begins to dawn on you that some of the people watching are more worried about how stupid they'll look when it's their turns to head down the hill, and others are just having fun challenging themselves - and it's more enjoyable once you move from the former to the latter.

I've seen (and bought) well-made fire agate cabs, terrible fire agate cabs that show little fire/color and spectacular pieces. Doesn't mean that I didn't like each and every one for whatever reason. I know that for myself, perfection is a goal I'll never achieve or see in my own work. I bet you are your worst critic. My word of wisdom for the day: it's a seriously bad idea to consider abandoning fire agates for skiing :shocked:

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:02:01 PM »

We all get lucky sometimes and find a great rock in the hills or an estate sale.  Quite often it is about going to a big show and shelling out substantial cash for high quality rough. One of my favorites is fee digs at reliable locations. Even e-bay is off the charts for quality rough and slabs if it is a known stone like Blue Mountain Jasper. Some gem show auction tables are pretty good too if you have a lot of time to just watch the auctions.

I am betting your pieces were still better than any of the material I have worked with. Nothing wrong with liking top quality until you have to pay for it.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 05:07:37 PM »

Phish, I've been through the fire agate "wars."  The real trick is getting your hands on top rough and that involves both connections and lots of money.  At one time I had a great supplier who gave me a fair break on his Deer Creek, AZ rough but he passed on. 

There are certain people who seem to have "first dibs" on quality rough.  I met a guy in Sedona, AZ who told me he was in a select circle of cutters that the miners contact with their best rough.  You'd recognize his name, he's well known.  He can charge top dollar for his work and the miners, in turn, get the best return on their goods by selling to well-known cutters.  As best I can tell it’s sort of a low-key group of well-connected people.

Another problem with fire agate is it’s hard to sell finished stones unless you’re capable of making unique settings for them due to their freeform shapes.  While people may admire them, the nature of the finished cabs nearly always requires custom-made rings or pendants and not many loose stone buyers have that skill.  Having custom work done can be quite costly.

Then there’s the low labor cost Mexican cutters.  They’re at a rough source and the quality of Mexican cutting has improved tremendously  over the past 20 years or so.  If you’re selling, it’s difficult to compete with them.

Still it’s a fascinating material with lots of challenges for the hobby cutter.  Don’t give up.  There’s always some top rough to be found if you keep looking.  It’s elusive but it’s out there.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 06:04:52 PM »

Here is a very close up photo of my favorite of the ones I have cut.  I should note that I have not seen any affordable top grade rough since the 1980's.

Orrum

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 05:17:53 AM »

Yowser that's incredible Michael!

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 06:55:00 AM »

holy crap Red.
that stone is amazing!

Im not giving up, just not going to be as excited as i have been. my rough is good, but i have to really really hard to find that "just right" layer.
i have to saw areas of the rock off in hopes of accidentally finding a cool area in one with nice color.
Just spend too much time and money on bits and it isnt paying off.

Guess i need to make a kiln and start some lost wax casting on my patio.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 08:38:39 PM »

Black fire agate from Mexico, best in the world. rare to get though 4-5 colors in good material.

Silicate life form
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 40 queries.