Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My machine find this weekend!  (Read 1908 times)

jerrysg

My machine find this weekend!
« on: May 11, 2017, 05:32:39 PM »

:blob1: Finally got there early.  This week found out about a chap getting rid of stuff of the lapidary persuasion. Usually I find out about these things after the fact. Not this time.  Found a Lortone LU-6X covered in rock dust. Saw blade was rusted and obviously way past end of life. Still the motor runs and the shaft is true. He had 2 solid stone wheels and a 1" expandable wheel. More crowded than the Loretone supplied setup but all in all a find at $50.  Now to clean it up, install a water drip system, install drain taps on both sides, install a new MK 303 blade and get some belts for the expandable wheel.  This will be a good supplement to our flat lap setup.

Jerry

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: My machine find this weekend!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 06:20:48 PM »

Same machine i use currently, nice little machine.
I run a wider expando on mine, but when i grind i remove it so im not so crowded on my wheels.
I have a diamond pacific 80 and 150 grit, then i use the 600 belts on the expando until they literally fall apart.

Then when i polish on the side disk, i take the expando off, then screw on the side disk.

Jhon P

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 07:11:18 PM »

That's a good price! A used trim
Saw us worth more than that. New diamond wheels and you are good to
Go

edgarscale

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 10:01:51 AM »

very nice. i have one also..  just need a new blade.  i paid $500.00 used for mine seven years ago.

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

jerrysg

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 05:36:01 PM »

Update:

It turns out that we actually jumped the gun on the estate sale.  We had been sent the wrong information and had gone there ahead of the actual sale.  But Rick sold us the Loretone anyhow. But we went back for the actual sale and spent another $50. Came away with the vise for the saw, 5 more discs for the right side of the saw, (3 more Nova discs and 2 leather polishing discs) and another large Biggs jasper slab.

Below are 2 pictures of the saw as it sits now.  Soaked the saw table in white vinegar which removed all the rust and a lot of the paint. Used an abrasive drum in a variable speed drill and ground off the rest of the paint.  Gave the table 2 coats of Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer and 2 coats of Rustoleum Harbor Blue top coat.  (The Harbor Blue does NOT exactly match the Loretone color but since they powder coat their machines, they can't supply retouch paint.)  Attached 1/16" HMWPE sheet to the top of the saw table to provide a low friction, abrasion resistance surface. (Yes, this is the same material used on table saw fences, to line drop chutes in rock handling equipment and as ship bumpers in the new Panama Canal.)

The two solid wheels that were on the saw were not usable. The finer one had a large chunk out of it which made it downright dangerous to use.  The coarser wheel was out of balance and out of square. Will keep them to dress saw blades as needed. Replaced the solid wheels with a slightly worn 80 grit Galaxy wheel and bought a variety of belts for the 1 1/2" expando wheel.

The water delivery system was made from an extra cup that I had for our Ameritool Flat Lap. Used JB Weld to glue an extra piece of plastic for the hole and 1/4" copper tubing and valve.  Delivery tube extends about 3/8" below the rubber grommets.  Cotton webbing ($1 belt from local thrift store) was hot melt glued to the edge over the wheels. The 2 masonite jaws in the vise are shot but I have a sheet of 1/4" HMWPE waiting to be cut to size for the vise.

Machine is now working fine but there are 2 problems left to address and they both have to do with draining the water on the 2 sides of the machine.  There is no drain on the saw side and the drain on the wheel side allows the water level to build up to the point that the wheels are in the water before things start to drain.  Thinking about just removing the fitting on the wheel side and drilling a hole on the saw side and just putting in corks. When I want to drain the water I'll move the machine over a bucket and pull the cork.  If anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

Jerry

edgarscale

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 07:25:15 AM »

after drilling a drainage hole you can also wedge in, but preferably,  glue in a drainage hose...the type used from fish tanks.  costs about 1.79 or less a foot (from hardware store).  this way it continuously drains.  if the hose in set slightly above the level of the machine floor then that water would be in the machine to keep the blade edge wet.  that water/sludge then would need to be scrapped out at some point.  don't use the smallest hose it will plug up with sludge.  you've done a great job so far.  never thought to use vinegar in cleaning the machine.

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

jerrysg

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 05:25:28 PM »

Got the vinegar idea from this forum. (Graco: http://lapidaryforum.net/group/index.php?topic=2947.0:headbang: Gallon of house brand white vinegar is pretty cheap.

Your idea about the hose works for the wheel side. There is an installed drain fitting for a 1/4" plastic tubing. It is now working since I tilted the machine forward by putting a block under the motor. There is a continuous flow of water onto the wheels so it needs a continuous drain otherwise I would need to stop and mop out the water before it reaches the bottom of the wheels.

The hose idea will work on the saw side if I put a valve into the hose so that the water stays in the tray until I want to drain it. The saw side needs a constant level of water to keep the saw edge wet (about 1/2" deep) but there is no water feed. Occasionally I need to add water to make up for the spray.

Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 35 queries.