Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about selling cabs and jewelry  (Read 2113 times)

OurEarthlyDesigns

Question about selling cabs and jewelry
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:10:20 PM »

So as I've stated in other threads, I'm fairly new to lapidary and jewelry making. My question is is there a market for quality made cabs, and jewelry. I recently posted two of my cabs on etsy and have many more to put on. However I have yet to have anybody visit my site. Any pointers on how to start selling, and is it not really a hobby to pursue to make much money? It's not all about money for me. I really enjoy the hobby, but I'm just wanting to know what to expect, and if selling them is worth the effort.
Thanks,
Michael

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Michael
Our Earthly Designs
Santa Rosa Ca

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
Re: Question about selling cabs and jewelry
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 08:22:25 PM »

There  are thousands of hobbyists cutting and selling works and add to that the mass produced cabs from China, India, Indonesia etc.  Unless you have very rare colorful materials you will have a difficult time developing a following and low probability of developing a dependable income stream.   

I have a profitable company but at times sales drop to the point I do charity works.  I have turned a profit every year but last year was tough - making less than $9,000. for a years work of over 2,000 hours - a lot less than $5.00 an hour. 

OurEarthlyDesigns

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »

There  are thousands of hobbyists cutting and selling works and add to that the mass produced cabs from China, India, Indonesia etc.  Unless you have very rare colorful materials you will have a difficult time developing a following and low probability of developing a dependable income stream.   

I have a profitable company but at times sales drop to the point I do charity works.  I have turned a profit every year but last year was tough - making less than $9,000. for a years work of over 2,000 hours - a lot less than $5.00 an hour.
Yeah that's about what I expected to hear.

Michael
Our Earthly Designs
Santa Rosa Ca

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »

mapmuse.com

search for rock clubs & rock shops in your area join a club and work with staff . Best way is to do shows, And your local club may host lapidary shows in your area.

Jack
Silicate life form

Barclay

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »

Most people are not into rockhounding, let alone cabbing.  I would start with your friends and show them what you can do and let them spread the word.  I have resisted starting a website because customers have orders and what i am now doing for fun when i feel like it now is something i Have to do.  With very little effort when i make something i sell it quickly.

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 07:50:14 PM »

Some have given you very good advice. 
Don't quit your day job.  Make sure you have enough material to cover downturns, because they always come. When you put your effort into cutting stones or doing metal work make sure your materials are always the best you can get.  The metal work should be finished completely.  Many people think that by finding fault in your work, they can bargain the price.
If you take it slow and think of this as learning how to get good materials, how to make them better by your cutting, and then learning to market yourself and your art you will be far ahead.  Take it step by step.  Many of us just keep pumping any profit into new toys and equipment and let the hobby pay for itself.  That in itself is a very good accomplishment.

OurEarthlyDesigns

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »

Thank you all for the sound advise. It's good to get different opinions and insight. Basically all of you are confirming my thoughts which has been to take it slow and learn quality and over time my speed will go up. I am slowly building inventory and once I have about 20 or 30 things on etsy I plan to start telling friends and family and promoting in hopes to just make enough to support my hobby, and if I get lucky and put out quality maybe a demand will grow to bring in enough money to make it worth while. I'm thinking if I rock hound as I do maybe I can cover some cost by selling rough and slabs. It's obviously not a get rich fast plan but more a labor of love that might take off with some seriously good marketing and persistence.
Seems like that pretty much sums it up?

Michael
Our Earthly Designs
Santa Rosa Ca

Amethyst Rose

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 02:41:33 PM »

My wife and I started doing local craft shows to help pay for her bead habit as she called it.  Over the years we have expanded the line of jewelry that we carry and if doing a gem or mineral show, bring the cabs to those.  People can buy the cabs or have my wife or daughter wire wrap the cab for them into jewelry while they wait.  I will echo that you should use the best materials you can afford and do the best job of finishing the material you can.  If there are local metalsmithing associations, they can be a very lucrative and will often come back over and over if they like your work.

Good luck on your venture.

Bob Johannes
The Amethyst Rose

Michael

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 07:54:38 PM »

Ok,

What I have seen on the Metal Smithing Channels has been taking a very poor stone and trying to augment them with superior silver craftsmanship.  Why not take a much better stone with qualities that are attractive and adds to the silversmithing?   Lexx Stone has superior product, and she seems to be able to sell her stones to folks who appreciate her quality product?  You cannot take a piece of granite and make it into a gem stone, no matter what.  What are jewelry dealers want?  I think, stones of originality, unique features, and style.  If you want to pound out standard cabs, then this thread will go on and on and on! I am of the mindset that that good stone with original design, along with proper sanding, polishing and setting will always win out!
Mike

55fossil

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 12:41:25 PM »

Agreed, quality and uniqueness but also name brand stones like Willow Creek.   I have sold and walked through a lot of high end Boutiques with jewelry for sale over the years. If you know what to look for you can see the difference in quality. The silver work is flawless and polished to the 9's. The stone is tip grade with a smooth and brilliant polish. Many of the pieces make you turn your head to look at them because they are special and it is apparent immediately. ***   You can never fight the name brand sales bump, only work with or around it. Just like having a Mercedes or Ferrari logo on the vehicle you are selling.

Go to the import emporiums with their sterling jewelry jewelry for 5 to 35 bucks. The pieces are pleasing but as a rule you can see the difference in craftsmanship and not need a loop. Great jewelry for the price but there is a difference. The same applies to Etsy and many other on-line sellers. There is a reason why some jewelry or stones just grabs your eye and you cannot get out the credit card fast enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 42 queries.