Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Jade done and new WIP  (Read 3588 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Re: Black Jade done and new WIP
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 07:46:55 AM »

Thank you.

Robin, Agate is just so hard to work, but the jade is definitely the direction I hope to take eventually with pretty much every piece.

Anything not given, is lost.

edgarscale

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 12:38:14 PM »

the work is phenomenal...i thought jade was harder than agate to carve? and both just being tough to carve, period.  what tools do you use?

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 03:40:26 PM »

the work is phenomenal...i thought jade was harder than agate to carve? and both just being tough to carve, period.  what tools do you use?

Naturally, both are not the easiest stones. :) But while the nephrite is more durable of the two (despite being rated 6-6.5 vs 7 for agate) and easier for my hands to form as it does not have the tendency to crack at every turn when getting a bit hot. Also, my burs seem to have a much easier time with both, Nephrite as well as Jadeite, than agate.

I use cheap Chinese made plated burs, and every time I do any agate, I go through a lot of them every session. Small details would/are killing burs like early morning mosquitoes. And small details are even more hassle with the added problem of taking a lot longer to sand out.

I find nephrite as easy to work with as much softer material like serpentine or .............
Anything not given, is lost.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 27 queries.