Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: End of Summer  (Read 930 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
End of Summer
« on: August 31, 2017, 03:46:43 AM »

With all the bad news out of Texas right now, I'm a little unsure if I should post this now,......
Just know, that our prayers are with you!

For us here, we recovered from our couple of storms just as quickly as they came and went.
The day after the last one, I wanted to do some work at the cabin, and as it turned out hit a sweet spot weather wise.
Just a few hours after the rain stopped it cleared up, and the race was on for the last sunrise of the season.
By chance, got the best picture (IMHO) ever, since going up there.
Chance because, I run out of breath, had to sit down, and turned off the flashlight. Chance, because the two Typhoons ripped off a lot of foliage.
And then I suddenly was faced with the camera picking up those colours
Namshan Sunrise Aug 29, Kainzer Kurt by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
Then on I went to the usual spot to try getting a sunrise between our two tallest buildings in Hong Kong.
Maybe two days too late to have it actually centered, but weather allowing a clear sight without low level clouds.
Aug 29 Sunrise, Kainzer Kurt by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
And facing it directly
City of Hong Kong, Kainzer Kurt by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
As a bonus that day, still got a reasonable image of sunset too.
All alone that night, just coming back from a cold outdoor shower, no walkers and no campers, yet 800 meters below you can see the HK international Airport.
Sunset, Yi Tung Shan, Aug 29, Kainzer Kurt by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr

That day was a good one, finished the patio into a reasonable useful state.
Aug 29, Patio ready, Kainzer Kurt by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr

B&B anyone? :)  :)  Literally in the picture, because the weather was nice, so I had slept outside on the homemade reclining-chair.
Aug 29, B&B anyone?, Kainzer Kurt by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr

And advanced next months project ahead of time too. A raised flowerbed. Hiding a lot of construction material that I took out of the house over the months, lined with big rocks, and thickly covered with good topsoil that I dug up during the creation of the Patio.
Now the concrete has to set, and then we should have another possibility to sit outside, or simply a platform for food from and too the BBQ.
Aug 29, Flower bed underway, Kainzer Kurt by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr

As said before, I slept outside under a wonderful star filled night.
As I awoke (had the alarm set), I took a few pictures, and for the first time got my phone actually properly capturing some stars.
Early morning sky, Aug 30, Kainzer Kurt by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr

On the way to my spot for sunrise, somehow the light seemed to be different, a soft glow to it, and not the usual harsh contrast
First Light Aug 30, Kainzer Kurt by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr

Like the angle of this one (both taken about 10 minutes before sunrise)
Aug 30, Kainzer Kurt by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr
The cabin at the bottom is where I'm spending my time. The 4th cabin from top lost a door to the Typhoon last week, cleanly ripped out of its hinges. A few others lost roof-mounted Solar-panels. But the door and loss of foliage are a sure sign that last Wednesday, there where actual Hurricane winds up here.

The night was unusually cool (woke before midnight and had to wear a jacked), plus the recent rains and typhoon somehow created some form of rather rare occasion for us here. At the top of the mountain it was a wonderful clear morning, yet looking down.....
Aug 30, optical trickery, Kainzer Kurt by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr

Nice illusion, one could as well face up the hill. But this picture is downhill taken from about 2500feet and the clouds/fog hoovering at about half that.

New phones have a feature they call "PANTO", where you take pictures lined up and the cameras program combines it into a single image. Its nice to create surround pictures. But to me, while you can move around in the picture  , they only show you a fraction of the whole picture at any time. I like to take Panto pics, and then turn them into single pictures allowing you to see everything at once (like a super fish-eye lens without the bends/curvatures). 

Here a rare sight over here, the whole province of Hong Kong blanketed, while its a superb day on top. Picture represents approximately 190 degrees East to West.
Province of Hong Kong blanketed, Kainzer Kurt by Kainzer  Kurt, on Flickr

Now back to school, and return up there just to carry new supplies for the winter project.
With best regards, Kurt
Anything not given, is lost.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: End of Summer
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 07:02:29 AM »

Beautiful pictures, Kurt!  Thanks for sharing.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

edgarscale

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »

wow, am i happy for you.  cherish every moment.

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

ileney

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »

Lovely pictures. Thank you for sharing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 33 queries.