Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Tan Rind Blue-Green jadeite from Guatemala  (Read 1022 times)

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
New Tan Rind Blue-Green jadeite from Guatemala
« on: December 27, 2017, 07:43:22 PM »

A video I made with photos and analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzD6_TGEnec

55fossil

Re: New Tan Rind Blue-Green jadeite from Guatemala
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 09:09:50 AM »

Nice jade.  Tried to watch the video and kept getting commercials.... aaargh       Do you have a link to your web site?

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »

that is nice jade. i love that blue hue it has.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 09:48:42 AM »

Commercials? I guess it's because of the music. As far as my website, I do have information about blue jadeite but not this specific material yet.

https://www.finegemdesigns.com/guatemalajadeite.htm

It's too dark for me to get excited about it based on my sample and the color doesn't match the seller's photos. This seems to be par for the course for many of these Guatemalan sellers. The photos are bad and they always seem to be bad to their benefit not worse. So based on my research I won't be ordering this material again.

If anyone else has purchased this jade and got a better grade please post your experiences here. Lastly the tan crust is strange and almost looks like the material could have been heat treated. Is this even possible with jadeite and has it ever been done before? Heating jadeite to change the color?

rocks2dust

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 11:04:20 AM »

I bought some quite a few years ago, and also was disappointed in the range of color. My understanding is that they don't let the good blues out of the country, and haven't since shortly after the blue was rediscovered. The brown rind is from weathering and is usual in jadeite (though the rind flakes off and is often not present in stream-tumbled cobbles). AFAIK heat treatment isn't used to improve jadeite's color or translucence (this is done by bleaching and acid baths and/or dye followed by resin treatment). The only people I know that have tried heat-only treatment reported that it either turns the stone shades of yellow-brown or red-orange, rather than improving anything. Supposedly, some have treated the Turkish purple to drive off some of the yellow-browns, but that seems counter-intuitive and no verification on that. Heating weakens the stone and doesn't produce the more desirable colors, so I wonder why anyone would do it unless it was very low grade stone to start with.

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 01:33:10 PM »

Thanks rocks2dust good information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 35 queries.