Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New stick and stone W/many photos  (Read 2183 times)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
New stick and stone W/many photos
« on: May 14, 2016, 09:42:19 AM »

Started carving a new diamond willow walking stick and have finally gotten far enough along to show some of my work. No stones have been added yet but there will be some opals and red agate added later mostly for eyes because there is going to be many animal heads carved into the wood.

This is a very tall stick and about a foot from the bottom end there was a bad curve so I cut it then put it back together much straighter.

I then strapped it with thin slabs of mahogany, I think. When everything was set I worked epoxy putty in and around the strips.

There are two hand holds carved into the stick, one is arm pit high which works good for normal walking and the other is upper shoulder high which works well for walking and leaning more weight on the stick.

Lower hand hold.

Upper hand hold.

First animal is called a False Killer Whale which I had not heard of but it matched the mouth best. Will be much better when eye is placed.

Second animal is a dolphin that is a little different than the common ones and I need to go back to get the name.

I hope I can turn this into a lizard with a comb on it's snout.

Back side of lizard that I hoped to be a flamingo but that might be a stretch.

Other down branch I hope to turn into a mallard duck in the round but the placement of the eyes could be a big problem.

Another bird.

There are 40 diamonds on this stick and it weighed 2.68 pounds when I started but I hope to get that down to 2 pounds. The grip points feel very natural and it does not feel heavy but I have not carried it around for hours either. I have drawn two lines from top to bottom which will be a groove all the way. It probably took me an hour to figure out a way around all the diamonds but I think it will add a lot of visual to the stick plus it will take off some weight. When my dad was carving canes he cut holes all the way through the stick between diamonds but I do not have diamonds anywhere on both sides that I can carve the center out of.

With the extra weight on the top end of this thing I could probably swing it like a club and knock a bear silly enough to give me time to whack my partners legs and make my getaway. A two handed jab with the dolphin would probably put an attacker down long enough to get away too. Both of which have about a zero percent chance of happening but it is good to be prepared.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

southerly

Re: New stick and stone W/many photos
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »

Cool, by "diamonds" I assume you are referring to features in the wood?

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 04:39:54 PM »

Looks like this will keep you busy for quite some time. :)
Nice material and good ideas. Now get it done!
Anything not given, is lost.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 06:31:22 PM »

Nice to see you busy.Speaking of wood I got a tree root from your yard last time I was there and it is growing.do you remember what it was?

wampidy

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »

Cool, by "diamonds" I assume you are referring to features in the wood?

Correct. If you look at the right side of the third photo you can see where a branch sprouted off there is a + - diamond shape recess. Why it does that is beyond me but they can be quite dramatic. I will put up some better diamond photos when I get a little further along.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

wampidy

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 07:51:05 PM »

Looks like this will keep you busy for quite some time. :)
Nice material and good ideas. Now get it done!

I really am trying but I am getting tired of cleaning up messes in my home. Cleaned up one pile of carving chips because I thought I had had enough then started again and made another mess. This time I just swept it under a chair because the weather is not going to be any better tomorrow and I will probably be back at it again. I can carve and use a rasp but if I try to do fine sanding the dust goes everywhere when the heater fan kicks on. The things I want to do I can't and the things I do not want to do I can so I need to find a way to switch that 180 degrees or take more naps. hahaha
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

wampidy

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 08:04:26 PM »

Nice to see you busy.Speaking of wood I got a tree root from your yard last time I was there and it is growing.do you remember what it was?

hahaha I don't even remember you taking it. If it was under the big tree it is elm, if it was from the bushes they are mostly lilac bushes which are blooming right now and smell wonderful and sometimes I can smell them in my home. Sometimes being twice when the wind wasn't blowing 30 mph. The wind knocked a 4 inch dead limb out of the tree a week ago and it landed right next to my pickup.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 39 queries.