Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: reviving 24" Frantom saw  (Read 3034 times)

robirdman

reviving 24" Frantom saw
« on: April 07, 2019, 07:00:09 AM »

It has been years since I used it and I have forgotten everything about it.  Apparently the motor or wire has a problem, as it doesn't start.  But the then neither of the red or black button seems to be able to be pushed in.  I have a big rock in the vice and apparently cut some slabs, but I don't even remember how to move the vice back for a new slice.  I had taken the belts off too and am unsure of how they went.  Can someone help? 

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: reviving 24" Frantom saw
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:34:12 AM »

We have an 18" Frantom, but it's probably close enough that these photos might help.

The handle at the bottom of the vise carriage is how you spread the split nuts to allow the carriage to slide.

robirdman

Re: reviving 24" Nelson saw
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 09:11:14 AM »

Thanks.  I was looking at the saw again.  I had mixed up the name with my combo unit.  It is actually a Nelson saw.  But the vise unlocks the same way and I pulled back.  Blew the circuit breaker again. Maybe because the green ground is touching the metal case of a switchbox.  I can't see what the wires connected to the motor are like as it is against the garage wall. As it is too heavy, I may need help to see or remove the motor though maybe I can leverage it with boards.

Jhon P

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 11:09:05 AM »

The ground won’t affect it. It should be connected to the outlet box or frame.
Try taking the belt off and see if the motor spins freely and see if the blade moves freely.
If everything moves freely than you may have a short in the wiring or a bad motor

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 08:14:55 AM »

If it blew a breaker you have some bad wiring. It could be in the motor or the switch or in the cord. The green wire is supposed to be touching the case, this is to keep you from getting electrocuted. You should probably rewire the whole thing just to be safe.

Good luck with it.............Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

robirdman

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 11:10:24 AM »

I got a 2x4 and was able to move the saw away from the wall and access the motor.  All the pulleys turn freely.  Both the motor box and the switch box had no plate covering and each had the green ground floating with nothing attached.  It looks like I really need to clean things up and perhaps replace the switch box and maybe wiring.  But I need to make sure I know how all should be connected.  In the switch box I wrapped the ground around a pair of white and black wires.  Didn't test thus and don't know if this is right. 

Slabbercabber

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 02:52:59 PM »

The white and black wires should be neutral and hot.  Tying them to ground should trip the breaker instantly.

robirdman

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 04:41:00 PM »

OK.  I didn't try it with them connected. So that in the switch box and the loose on in the motor box, should touch their boxes, or what?

robirdman

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 09:14:04 AM »

A little more progress. Opened up the box with the power buttons for on and off and cleaned out.  Everything looked OK and I can press in and out.  Might not have pushed hard enough previously.  Then I made sure the ground in the switch box was touching only the box and not another wire.  Strange connections here.  blew the circuit breaker.  The ground from the power button box is wrapped to the black from it.  A white and black were connected directly.  And then when I noticed the cord to the motor was loose, I pulled and it didn't seem connected to anything.  So I got a plug with bare wires at one end, connected directly to the motor with no switch and plugged in and the motor ran fine.  So it appears all the problem is due to wrong connections in the switch box.  I still don't know where the ground in the motor box picture is supposed to go, and will try googling, connecting a motor to power via a switch box to see if I can find the right way.

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 09:01:58 PM »

Does the power cord go to the motor first or to the switch box first?
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

robirdman

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »

It goes to the switch box.  I thought I figured it out after watching a simpler video of connecting a motor to a switch.  I screwed the ground from the motor to the box, and tested directly w/o switch box, and it ran fine.  then I undid all the previous wiring in the switch box and connected all the whites together, all the blacks together and all the green.  Each is a set of 3 wires, from motor, power button and power cord.  Plugged in a a pop and small spark.  Unplugged and went to the house, expecting the outlet circuit breaker to have flipped again, but hadn't.  Back to the garage and plugged in again, no pop or anything, then pressed the power button on the saw for 1st time.  Nothing happened.  Back in the house, the circuit breaker had popped again.

Jhon P

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 07:53:17 AM »

The green ground should be connected directly to the metal box. A screw in the back out of the way is fine. Can you post a picture of the switch, front and back.
I am having a hard time making heads or tails of your pictures. I have a frantom 18” saw but the switch just a toggle switch and my 24” saw has a magnetic starter with a stop story button. The motor runs fine so it is in the wiring or the switch
I am an electrician and electrical contractor contractor. Been doing it since I was 14. My dad was an electrician. If you were close I would come look at it. I try not to give too much advice like this because it is hard to diagnose a problem with pictures.

robirdman

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »

I took more pictures showing:
 motor box with ground screwed to box;
switch box where I connected all whites, all blacks and all grounds (wrongly?)
switch box with caps removed
on/off box with plate removed and button mechanism pulled out some
Thanks for helping.

Stonemon

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 12:26:43 PM »

To switch one leg of the circuit, Tie the black from outlet to the black on the motor. Then tie the black from the switch to the white from the outlet. Then tie the white from the switch to the white from the motor. This gives you a complete circuit that should allow no short and no tripping the breaker. Make sure your greens are all tied and connected at some point to the machine.
The point being to bring the hot lead (black) to one side of the motor and the common (white) to the other side. In a perfect world, the wires to both sides of the switch would be white and thus eliminate the confusion. By hooking all the blacks together and all the whites together you are creating a dead short at the switch.

Bill

Jhon P

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 08:21:53 PM »

Looks like a manual motor starter. Stone man is correct
The incoming hot ( black) connects to the white going to the starter. The black from the starter connects to the black to the motor. The incoming white connects to the white to the motor. If you are connecting all the blacks together and all the whites together you are creating a dead short through the starter. Hopefully you have not damaged the contacts in the starter. Let me see if I can draw a picture to help you
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 55 queries.