Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum Deletes Posts - Solved  (Read 2351 times)

vitzitziltecpatl

Forum Deletes Posts - Solved
« on: May 06, 2018, 08:58:11 AM »

Recurring issue causes posts not to be accepted. Hit "post" button, leave page, post is not added to thread.

Happens when someone else has posted to that thread during time between opening thread and hitting post button.

So-called "help" message that someone else has posted is displayed above text box - out of frame, where it is not visible.

Has happened quite a few times. Has been reported to admins. Needs to be disabled so posts are not lost.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Forum Deletes Posts
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 09:08:25 AM »

We will look into this.
Sounds like a coding error someplace, or a random bug.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 09:25:16 AM »

In the meantime, try a couple simple things...

Clear your browser cache if it has one.
Reboot your computer.

I ask this because sometimes weird crap like this can be caused by corrupt information packets and corrupted cookies.  The items get corrupted randomly in transferring over the internet and their internal coding gets a bit scrambled.  The end result is weirdness like what you are experiencing.

If that fixes the issue, great.  If it doesn't, please take a screen capture of any error message you get and post it here.  It may help us track down this dastardly thing.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 09:46:46 AM »

Thanks for the tips.

Is definitely a "help" feature. Red message box (if I scroll upward to look for it before posting) that says "...you may want to review your post...".

The post would probably be accepted and appear on the board by clicking "post" again. Problem is that the warning box appears off-screen toward the top of the page. Can't fix it if ya' can't see it.

Things like this are usually in a preference setting in an admin panel. If not, the software creators should be made aware of it so they can move the warning box to a location immediately below the "post" button so it could be seen.

Either way, posts can be edited - but only if they actually make it onto the board. I know I can't always re-create even a short post exactly like the blasted ones. I didn't even bother with this most recent one, and I wonder how much good content is lost because people don't want to try to rewrite something.

55fossil

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 10:12:50 AM »

hmmm...   I have started replying to a post and then re-thought about posting my response. So, I just leave the page without hitting the post button. Some thoughts are best left not posted as we all have an opinion, sometimes not the popular one. So, maybe you have seen some of my un-posted replies which were best left not posted.    Maybe this is one that should be left un-posted....

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »

Hiya' Fossil.

Don't quite understand the point of your post here.

This thread is about a technical "feature" of the forums software that tries to warn that there is new content which could be relevant to whatever the user is currently trying to post.

In theory this is a good idea because whatever someone else has posted while I'm typing might influence how I want to compose my post. Problem is that the implementation of this feature was done in a clumsy way that sometimes leads to a post not being included in the thread.

Purely a technical issue on this one.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Forum Deletes Posts - Solved
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 10:59:42 AM »

Found a local option for this problem in this location: User Profile | Modify Profile | Look and Layout.

Check the box that says "Don't warn on new replies made while posting.".

That should fix it if this has been an issue for anyone else.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 01:07:38 PM »

Yes, what you are describing is a board feature and not an actual problem per se.

Basically that feature is there to ask you to review your post to see if the person who just posted while you were replying either already said what you did, or has something else you might wish to comment on.

It's a standard board feature.  It existed on the old forum as well.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 07:32:41 PM »

What it's for is obvious.

What is a problem is when a warning is "displayed" in an area of the page that isn't visible when you click "post".

Probably wasn't an issue once upon a time when the software was written. Now there are so many goofy little faces and text formatting options above the text box that the warning box was gradually forced upward out of view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 40 queries.