Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lortone 3A tumbler  (Read 1629 times)

William Phillips

Lortone 3A tumbler
« on: December 13, 2017, 12:13:25 PM »

I have a Lortone 3A tumbler, the barrel won't turn.  The motor runs and the drive rod turns, however the barrel won't roll.  I have the barrel half filled and I weighed the material I put inside (About 1 pound plus water to cover the rocks). Any Suggestions
Thank You
Bill Phillips

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
Re: Lortone 3A tumbler
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 01:22:28 PM »

http://www.lortone.com/pdf/Model_3A_PartsList_Instructions.pdf

link for manual for 3 A tumbler.

Consider pillow block bearings, For your next upgrade.

Vibra-sonic's great for 220 grit and finer - rotary tumblers for 40/70 through 80 grit ( 80 grit breaks now fast so let it run for three weeks JUST keep a good paste wet , and more 80 grit water as needed. Just let it break down for three weeks, sort for the barrel, keep different barrels for coarse runs / other polish & fine grit runs. 

Dad  gave me a LS-18 in 1981, Fine saw though - Lortone fine if you use them twice a year for life. Or daily uses ( OLD HighLand-Park )   with light PM over 3 decades. Funny how lapidary has gone from the yard of piles and buckets. to a shoe box under the kitchen table.   with a 8'' diamond pacific  Titian.   "GOT SLABS?"

Silicate life form

William Phillips

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »

Thank You,
 I used the link to the Lortone  PDF
 I took the cover of and found the drive pulley was full of rubber dust. I cleaned it and I'm off and running (tumbling).
My parents also had a 20 pound tumbler, which I am also using. Its a Lortone they bought while I was in the Army.

Thanks again

Bill Phillips

robirdman

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 03:21:58 AM »

I just had a similar problem with my decades old Lortone gallon tumbler, not used in years.  Lortone said maybe the belt was too loose, and when I pressed in on it, the barrel turned.  There were screws to move the motor and I adjusted and this worked.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 05:56:22 PM »

A new belt at about $3 plus shipping from the Rock Shed also does wonders. I also use duct tape around where the lid meets the barrel as this action over time can wear to a polish and loss of friction results in slipping but no rolling.  Again a few cents and wham, back on track.  One has been going for about 2 years straight now on successive loads.  I have tried several times to kill my Lortone's but they keep plugging. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 35 queries.