Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lepidolite Pendant  (Read 3307 times)

vitzitziltecpatl

Lepidolite Pendant
« on: January 22, 2019, 05:28:32 PM »

Robin said it's okay to post a photo of the pendant she just finished.

Thanks to one of the generous sphere-masters here, Robin got some great rough, and I got to help by cutting the cab.

Stonemon

Re: Lepidolite Pendant
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 06:27:05 PM »

Beautiful!

Bill

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:35:01 PM »

That's spectacular!  I really like the design and the intricate silver beading.  The granulation beading on the setting is outstanding.  Wish I had the patience to do that...

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 06:56:00 PM »

Thank you!  The setting was actually one I was making for someone and I managed to mess it up.  So I salvaged the non-wrecked part and the granulation look popped into my head, so I had to do it.  It was a bit tedious, but I really like it a lot (it's for me) and I actually did do the granulation on the bail.  May have over torched it a bit, but it was the first time I have tried it.

Thanks to Jhon for letting me buy some of his sphere off-cuts of the lepidolite!  It's super high grade and gemmy and I love it.  Plus, it's purple.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

Rosemaryr

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 09:16:52 PM »

Very pretty indeed!  Both the stone and the setting!

Any tips on working lepidolite?  I have some lepidolite rough that is waiting, and would like to know how to best handle the flaky mica material it's made from....  (Thank you!)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 10:52:46 PM »

Stunning piece.  The stone has almost a fire within it.  Very pretty

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 05:57:17 AM »

Thanks, guys!

Rosemary - Vince cut the stone, but I believe he skipped the 80 grit wheel and started on his 220, which is really well worn and then went up the wheels.  Light touch because it's on the soft side.  He finished it on a felt lap with 50,000 so he wouldn't pull any those mica bits out.  If he did something else different, I'm sure he'll let you know.
Robin

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 07:00:58 AM »

Ah, yes - flaky stone but cutter was flaky enough to make it come out okay. My 220 Galaxy is so well broken in that it probably cuts more like a new 600, and all the Novas are also "well-worn".

I think next Lepidolite I cut will be on the flat lap, so I can slow the speed down a little. Will also use Eastwind resin discs with foam backers. The Eastwinds are smoother right out of the box, so there should be less issues with the flakes.

Had two slight depressions in the surface from flakes exiting the program, but 50K diamond on felt with fresh extender fluid worked for the polish. The felt had dried out since last used, so I added extender fluid. Felt at medium speeds on the flat lap got down into the depressions nicely. Can't even see them unless you get a light reflection directly on them.

This was first Lepidolite I'd ever cut, and I was stressin' on it since it was for Robin's pendant... .

Rosemaryr

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »

Thanks for the tips, Robin and Vince!  I have to bookmark this page for when I can work on my lepi....

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 10:29:06 AM »

That is a very nice piece. It cuts well if you avoid very coarse grinding. Lepidolite does not like ultraviolet rays , it will turn brown , so keep the rough indoors.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 04:54:28 PM »

Hmph. Brown, huh? That's disappointing, and I did not know that. Thanks for the tip.

Rosemaryr

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 11:56:03 PM »

That is a very nice piece. It cuts well if you avoid very coarse grinding. Lepidolite does not like ultraviolet rays , it will turn brown , so keep the rough indoors.

So... "keep the rough indoors."   Does that mean the polish helps block the UV on a finished piece?

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »

I would not store your finished lepidolite piece on a windowsill  but other than that wearing it all you want is fine . Your skin can take less uv than lepidolite can take.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 11:18:18 AM »

This is one of the most beautiful designs and stone that I have seen in a while.  Well thought out and so very proportional.  Thank you for sharing!

Jhon P

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 06:57:54 PM »

Glad you are happy with it. I didn’t have any problems cabbing it. I found that if you cut the stone thicker it will retain more of the color.
Beautiful design, fits the stone perfectly.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 06:53:35 AM »

It would be impossible to not like this Lepidolite. Robin always wanted some nice material. Now that quest is over. I don't think we'll ever see any better than this.

Robin will probably let me cut her another one since this one survived the process okay. We'll make it thicker.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 57 queries.