Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saw Oil additive? To do or Not to do? What do you use? If Not Why Not?  (Read 1971 times)

StillRockinPdX

So I bought an old Covington slab saw and one side of the saw is open. Factory stock and made so the all thread adjustable vise clamp will have room to move as the feed tray is pulled towards the blade edge. Running a saw creates that mist that coats everything it gets on.  Is there a product that will keep the mineral oil I use from "vaporizing" into a mist and keep the oil in its heavier form confined in the saw and not floating about getting thins messy. I've been using an old shop vac to suck the mist out of the saw before opening the lid. I was told that STP would work just fine. What are your thoughts?? Anyone? Hello? Hello....is this thing on?!

Orrum

Bardahls No Smoke from the auto dept of Walmart for mist. I put a half bottle in my 16 inch saw. Baby oil so it smells better, small bottle does it.

Orrum

Open side is s problem. You gonna have to do something about that. Gonna make a mess.

Slabbercabber

Misting is mainly caused by excessive friction.  Any friction modifier like STP or Bardahls will help, but the best solution is to make sure the feed is rigid and everything is perfectly aligned.  One clue to a poor condition is that you will see saw marks.  If they are deep enough to feel when you run your fingers across the slab, you have a serious alignment or wear problem.

StillRockinPdX

Re: Saw Oil additive? To do or Not to do? What do you use? If Not Why Not?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 01:04:42 PM »

Thank you for replying. I'll get the product to limit smoke. - I do not have an alignment problem with my blade.  In fact I'm proud of the fact I have no marks on my slabs when they come out of the saw. Smooth as can be they are.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 01:15:43 PM »

Several factors influence how much mist is generated.  NAPA no smoke is the equivalent of Bardahls and cheaper.  Do try to reduce the depth of the oil on the blade but still retain adequate oil on the cutting surface.  My saw mists more when the oil is hot (big hard rocks).  A cover is essential if you are cutting large rocks. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

StillRockinPdX

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 02:05:24 PM »

Yeah. I've noticed more when the saw oil is hot. That begs another question of which, is it okay to use the oil when it's hot or does it matter? The rocks aren't affected by the oil temp are they? And it seems that after I cut rock and they go into clay base looking fine but after they come out it seems thay have cracks or fractures in hem that weren't noticed before. That normal?

StillRockinPdX

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 02:21:17 PM »

Store was out of STP engine oil treatmeat so I got Rislone engine treatment. Sounds like the same stuff only not the same stuff. Guess we'll find out sooner than later.

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 04:58:18 AM »

Lubricant being warm is not a factor.  The reason why water can't be used for big saws is it gets hot enough to boil on the point of contact nullifying all lubrication and most of the cooling benefits.  But heat is generated and big hard rocks tend to generate more heat than smaller ones and the only way to compensate is to use lots of coolant and go slower (or use a sharper blade, that's thinner, etc. etc.)  Ideally your oil will get not nearly that hot.  The cracks and pits show after treatment in oil absorbent because the oil that masked these defaults is gone.  Oil and or water temporarily fill cracks making things look good when they are not quite that good. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 05:46:54 AM »

my first saw was an open faced saw, I draped an old towel over the opening to stop the mist and spray best i could.
I fixed mine when i seen an old crusty 18 inch saw sitting in front of the rock store and made an offer on it.
Got it for a song, then glen went to his old storage container and brought out an old 20 inch blade for me to mount on it.

I dont miss the days of my wife screaming about the whole patio being covered in mineral oil lol  :LOLOL: :LOLOL: :coffee1: :coffee1:

Rockoteer

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »

Open side is s problem. You gonna have to do something about that. Gonna make a mess.
Agree .... not good.  I don't use anything in my saws.  I keep them closed while cutting and let it sit for a while when its done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 47 queries.