Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albany, Oregon  (Read 2464 times)

Redwilder

Albany, Oregon
« on: July 21, 2016, 08:25:58 PM »

Hello all! I am heading to Albany, Oregon to attend the NFMS meeting on July 29th. Ill have 4 days to kill until I will be in Prineville for the annual NFMS field trip. I do know that the local gem club is sponsoring field trips to the Hollywood Ranch in the area on fee digs for petrified wood during that weekend's show. Other than that, I am clueless as to where to go...never been to the Albany area before. My cousin, who I haven't seen in 34 years is coming down from Portland. She has been following my adventures and really wants to try her hand at rockhounding for the first time. I know that area used to be big in great carnelian and holly blue, but things have changed since the early days. Any chance of still finding those materials anywhere? Any other great material other than that in the area that folks would recommend that I go?

rocks2dust

Re: Albany, Oregon
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 09:58:26 AM »

There used to be some nice carnelian and plume agate outside Lebanon, but it was all on private land. I don't know of anything accessible in that vicinity today. You can still find some carnelian in Ames Creek south of Sweet Home (take 18th st. south for a couple miles before checking out the creek bed). Petrified wood in there too, but as you are going to Holleywood Ranch, you'll already have some pieces not tumble-smoothed in the creek. Going up Quartzville rd. at Green Peter reservoir (just east of Sweet Home) may also interest you. You have to travel quite a ways up the road (until you are clear of the reservoir) before you are in an area with better rockhounding possibilities. Aside from panning for flour gold in the creek (and lots of folks are usually there doing that), take a look at through the big piles of spoils here and there on the west side of the road. I once found a palm-size nodule of native silver crystals looking through one of those. Probably some snakes in there, too, so keep an eye out. There's a bridge over Quartzville Cr. about a mile before/below where Boulder Cr. joins it, and if you cross over, there are some pyritohedrons floaters in a roadcut a short ways up the hill (look for a whitish tuff stained with red on the left side of the road). The crumbly white tuff is supposed to be toxic, so wash your hands afterward. As you go further up the creek beyond the day-use picnic area, be aware of claim markers, as there are some gold claims up there. Should be some agate, too, but I'm not sure if there are any specific deposits. Many of the side roads go up from the creek onto private timberlands, and more often than not they don't take kindly to folks wandering around their property (plus a head-on with a log truck isn't going to be pleasant going around a bend in a narrow dirt track). That area is a nice, mostly shady and cool place to spend on a hot day with your feet in clear water looking for rocks, though.

Redwilder

Re: Albany, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »

Thanks for the advice! I have already heard about the Timber company closing off access to much of the areas around there....including the prime carnelian digs and holley blue. So unfortunate....I would love to get some of that holley through personal hounding  :cry:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 31 queries.