Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Frantom CRS Gripper - Updated  (Read 6324 times)

Slabbercabber

Re: Frantom Saw - Cleaned
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 03:00:30 AM »

If there is a bushing in that shaft guide then I would guess the threaded hole originally held a grease zirk.  Your local hardware store will have them for less than a dollar.  Grease would keep rock snot out of the bushing.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Frantom CRS Gripper
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 03:17:49 PM »

Gettin' close to firing this thing up. Just put some 30W in that hole and stuck my set screw in. I should pack it with grease.

For all you guys wondering about the "Gripper" that was sitting in the saw vise, here's a photo. Try putting that rock in a standard vise, eh?

It's just barely in the pads on the Gripper, but I tried to pull/twist/break it out of there and only rocked the carriage a bit.

I also put a piece of 3/8" dop stick through the holes in the vise jaw dog ears. It does make it more solid. I wonder why none of our saws had a pin there, though. I hope there wasn't a problem years ago with the vise jaw bases cracking.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 07:12:25 AM »

Did fire it up with a temporary barrier in front of the pulleys. Gripper works great.

jim tawes

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 02:25:47 PM »

you cannot beat aFrantom 24 , I have had mine 6 months and love it, had to have cigar box rocks make me new dogs and they did a great job.  mine has asump and only takes 2.5 gals of oil which I change and filter often.  still on the original 301? blade. 

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 05:11:15 PM »

Great to hear from another happy Frantom owner. This one's only 18", but we only had a 14" drop saw before getting it.

Also good to put in a plug for Cigar Box Rock. Robin bought a refurbished HP 10" from Tim for my birthday last year. We have always been happy with what we've gotten from CBR.

sammygator

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 11:02:06 AM »

Spent the day today cleaning the new old saw. Not trying to make it look new, but just get that stinky oil sludge out of it.

Have already started gathering materials for a belt guard. Other than that, it only appears to be missing a set screw in the cross-feed and a pin to hold the vise jaw adjustment dog in place.

Believe it or not, this probably isn't our oldest saw. We have a 10" trim saw with the brand name "Victor" on it. The Victor is probably 70 years old.
I've got a Frantom 24'', too. I'll try to get a few pics of it to post here.

Sam

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 09:37:10 PM »

Time for an update on our "new" Frantom.

Took out some freeplay in the vise carriage feed screw. It had probably .200" on each end, so I took out maybe half of that after noticing a little side-to-side movement in it. Seems to be meshed better with the drive gear in the back now, and it has been cutting very true slabs.

The other thing I've added is an allthread brace rod for the back side of the vise. There was a threaded hole just below the upper-right bolt that holds the wood liner to the vise jaw, but no hole in the wood. A cap nut on the end to keep it from digging into the other wood liner and a nut and washer inside the adjustable jaw, and it works great. Now I can chuck a piece up just inside the vise jaws near the blade without having the adjustable jaw want to cock sideways.

Having all kinds of fun with this thing...!

Slabbercabber

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 03:51:27 AM »

I love that extra screw idea.  I'm pretty sure some previous owner added that.  I'm going to do it to mine next time i"m working on it.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 07:04:34 AM »

Yeah, it sure helps to have the jaws on any vise stay square when the workpiece doesn't sit in the middle of the jaws. The tapped hole in this one was 3/8-16, and the 3/8" allthread seems like it will be sturdy enough.

I'd be interested in hearing how much front-to-back freeplay other Frantom owners have in the feed drive screws. I just guesstimated how much to leave in our saw. Didn't want to force it too tightly into the drive gearbox in the back... .

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 10:50:02 AM »

That setup looks like it could bend and create problems. Just my opinion and 2 cents.

I like this tool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEDIUM-ROCK-CLAMP-for-12-to-24-slab-saws-Holds-end-cuts-hard-to-hold-rocks/232792631502?hash=item363385a8ce:g:b1UAAOSwmmxW6XL~

Comes in smaller size as well.

55fossil

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »

ie Jaw Freeplay;   My Frantom has tons of freeplay left to right.  I often stick wood blocks on one side of the jaw to help keep it square. Large rocks that only go a few inches into the jaw really make my vice go sideways.  I like the threaded rod and am considering something similar for my Frantom. Possibly a heavier threaded rod.   nice photo....

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 07:59:10 PM »

Thanks for the info on your Frantom. How much space is there between the collars and the inside wall of the cabinet at each end of the drive screw?

Re possible bending of the CRS Gripper - it seems to be bulletproof. I've already tested this one thoroughly, and the other two people in our club who have them have "abused" theirs for years now with no problems.

kanecats

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 09:33:08 AM »

Hi Frantom peoples :)

I just bought a 14" Frantom and will attach pics. The saw has a blown motor, and I would like to ask recommendations on the size motor to replace the original with. The GE 1/3 Hp motor seems a little light to me and wanted some opinions. I plan to take this apart and replace bearings, belts and other needed items. Does anyone know the bearing size for this? I pick up the machine next week and would like to get this stuff in and be ready to go! If any of you have any suggestions based on my pics, your opinions and suggestions are welcomed! First order of business is sandblasting and paint. The hood is dented, and I am considering getting an estimate to have it straightened and add a lip to the inside hood so the oil stays in the machine. Is that necessary in your experience? 

Regarding the motor-does it have a .625 diameter shaft? I am considering a Baldor engine. I am also wondering if going with a 220 line would be a better option to the 110?

The machine came from a 96 year old who passed. It was his machine from new.

Thanks! Diana

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Frantom CRS Gripper - Updated
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »

Good for you! A "one-owner" saw. Should be a good one. Sorry I don't know part sizes for the 14", but I'll bet someone on here will have info for you. Do know our 14" drop saw has a 1/3 HP motor, and I've considered upgrading to a 1/2 horse.

I see your saw has a threaded rod to keep the vice jaw square. Does it also have a rod holding the ears of the "dog" in the slot on the vice carriage itself? Or does your dog just lift up out of the slot when not under pressure?

I also see in the 5th photo (from above the vice) that the collar on the back end of the drive screw appears to be tight up against the inside of the cabinet. Our 18" had almost 1/4" space between the collar and the cabinet walls, both front and back. I took most of that front-to-back freeplay out, but didn't want to bind anything up by taking it all out.

Just from the number of members here who've posted about their Frantoms, I wonder how many of these saws are still out there. They were obviously built to last!

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Frantom CRS Gripper - Updated
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »

Have new photos of the "Gripper" in action. It has been rotated to get the best slabs from a small odd-shaped rock. There are two bolts to loosen (head of one is visible in the first photo) on the base which then allow the arms to be rotated.

This was also a very irregularly shaped piece of rough. Three more slabs came off after these photos, and it never moved.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 52 queries.